All iLive content is medically reviewed or fact checked to ensure as much factual accuracy as possible.
We have strict sourcing guidelines and only link to reputable media sites, academic research institutions and, whenever possible, medically peer reviewed studies. Note that the numbers in parentheses (, , etc.) are clickable links to these studies.
If you feel that any of our content is inaccurate, out-of-date, or otherwise questionable, please select it and press Ctrl + Enter.
Growth and hair loss in a person occurs throughout his life. Every day a person loses from 5 to 8 dozens of hair: usually the fallen hair grows again, and with painful loss of such self-replenishment is not observed. These and many other hair problems are dealt with by a special doctor - trichologist.
He knows about everything that our strands and scalp need to look to the fullest.
Who is a trichologist?
Specialty trichologist first appeared in Western countries more than a century ago. Gradually, this direction of medicine became more and more in demand: Trichology centers, scientific and educational institutions, where professional trichologists were trained, began to be built. For example, in England and now there is a trichological institute and a network of trichological clinics.
In our country, such a narrow specialization began to be singled out only in the 90s of the XX century, that is, more recently. In most medical institutions, trichologists are referred to representatives of dermatocosmetology, because the main task of the doctors of this specialty is to study everything related to our locks and the scalp, for example, the structure, the stages of hair growth, etc.
That is, in fact, the trichologist is a doctor-dermatologist, narrowly focused on diagnosis, prevention and therapy of hair and skin diseases under the hair. Representatives of this profession should always be aware of all the latest developments and research in the field of health of strands, and also use in their professional practice all innovative methods and tools that allow to fully restore and improve the condition of the hair.
When should I contact a trichologist?
If you are not enthusiastic about your curls, you are concerned about any problems with the hair, or do not like their appearance, then you can safely sign up for an appointment with the trichologist. Do not forget that healthy curls are not only beautiful, it is a mirror of the entire state of human health.
Be sure to contact the trichologist if you are familiar with the following symptoms:
- hair is split, fractured, falls out, becomes thin, lost luster and volume;
- the skin on your head itches, it becomes inflamed, spots, dandruff appear on it, the level of fatty hair changes.
Changes with hair can be associated with the following conditions:
- hormonal changes in the body (pregnancy, breastfeeding, puberty, menopause, etc.);
- infectious diseases of the skin on the head;
- deficiency of some substances in the body;
- chronic diseases or the use of potent drugs;
- malfunctions of endocrine system function;
- genetic predisposition.
Consultation specialist will determine the true state of your curls, discover the essence of the problem and make an effective decision about further treatment.
What tests do I need to take when I contact a trichologist?
As a rule, an appointment with a trichologist does not require any preliminary tests. If during the reception it turns out that to clarify the diagnosis, there is not enough routine examination, the doctor himself will decide on the appointment of certain laboratory tests. It can be an analysis for the level of certain hormones, blood biochemistry, etc.
In some cases, it may be necessary to consult other medical specialties - neuropathologist, endocrinologist, gastroenterologist, because the hair diseases can appear due to malfunctions in the digestive, nervous and endocrine systems.
If you have chronic illnesses, be sure to tell your doctor. Also bring along a list of medications that you are taking, or have taken recently. If you recently gave a general blood test or a general urine test, you can also take the results with you.
Special preparation for receiving a trichologist is not required.
What diagnostic methods does the trichologist use?
The main emphasis of the diagnosis of the condition of the skin and hair is done on their thorough examination. There is also a questioning of the patient, during which the doctor clarifies some of the nuances:
- duration of the disease;
- dynamics and progress of the disease;
- hereditary predisposition;
- associated pathologies;
- features of a food and so forth.
As for the examination, the doctor pays attention to the presence of lesions not only in the hair area, but also on the nails, eyelashes, eyebrows, etc. The doctor's attention is drawn to the elements of rashes, the state of fatness of hair, the condition of the roots and tips of the hair, the appearance of the skin and others signs. Already on the basis of examination and questioning, a specialist can establish a 90% correct diagnosis.
After this, if necessary, the trichologist can apply the method of instrumental research - computer microscopy. What is this method? A special camera, which is connected to a computer, scales the image obtained from the microscope, and displays it on the monitor. The patient himself has the opportunity to observe his own hair under multiple magnifications. Only then, when the course of treatment will be conducted, it will be possible to observe the positive dynamics of therapy in the same way and compare the results.
Another method of diagnosis can be a trichogram, which is used, mainly, for hair loss. For the study, the patient's hair is removed (about a hundred), they are examined under a microscope to determine the stages of their growth. This makes it possible to determine the correspondence of the stages of hair development to the norm.
In most cases, the doctor sends patients for the delivery of hormonal and immunological tests. The level of thyroid hormones, sex hormones, ferritin, transferrin is studied, the urine is tested for androgen content, the state of the immune system is assessed.
Less often the doctor can offer the patient a survey on the mineral content in the blood, as well as the advice of other specialists.
Full and competent diagnosis allows not only to establish an accurate diagnosis, but also to prescribe adequate effective treatment.
What does a trichologist do?
The doctor-trichologist deals not only with the fact that he prescribes a treatment regimen for problems with the hairy surface. He can conduct the procedures himself, develop a course of individual care for the scalp and scalp.
At the initial consultation, the doctor will pay attention to the patient's complaints, determine when the problems with the hair or skin are first encountered, clarify the hereditary predisposition to such problems, since the genetic mechanism plays an important role in the condition of the hair.
The doctor will definitely ask about the intricacies of your profession, about the stresses and depressions, about the nature of your diet. He can specify whether the patient is using any medications, whether he is ill with chronic illnesses.
Next, if necessary, the doctor will assign a diagnosis. Perhaps it will be laboratory tests, or other studies. Only after that he will be able to appoint a qualified and effective treatment of the existing problem.
Trichologist can lead outpatient reception of patients with dermatological, mycological, trichological disorders. Also, his competence includes preventive activities and clinical and instrumental examinations.
What diseases does the trichologist treat?
The most common diseases that the trichologist treats:
- Dandruff - a common ailment, until recently, had no reliable reason. Not so long ago, the causative agent of dandruff was discovered and identified - it is a conditionally pathogenic fungal infection of Pityrosporum Ovale (also called Malasezia Furfures). In addition to the presence of dandruff, patients often consult about the itching of the head or reddening of the skin, then you can talk about seborrhea.
- Seborrhea is a skin disease in which excessive salivation and changes in the composition of sebaceous secretions are present. Often the cause of this condition is hormonal imbalance in the body.
- Hirsutism - excessive growth (androgen-dependent) hair in female patients. In such cases, the hair abnormally grows in the face, breast, abdomen, lower back, hips. The cause of this condition is the excessive production of androgens (especially testosterone). This often occurs during pregnancy or during menopause.
- Trichotillomania - obsessive pulling of hairs as a result of psychoses or obsessions. Sometimes this disease is called "teenage stress."
- Hereditary pathologies are diseases inherited by inheritance. Among such diseases, there is trichoclasia, hair torsion, monitethrix, trichorexis, atrichia, etc.
As a rule, the trichologist is referred to the following questions:
- Constant wearing of headdresses and wigs can help to increase hair loss.
- Frequent and prolonged stay under the scorching rays of the sun with an open head can lead to hair drying, fragility and early loss.
- It is not recommended to go out without a headdress in the winter, as the cold air spasms the surface vessels of the scalp, thereby worsening the trophic hair follicles.
- If the hair is greasy, then wash them should be more often, but using special means for oily hair. It is useful to rinse these hair with broth of chamomile color or acidified water. It is not recommended to wash such hair in hot water, but only in warm water.
- To make the volume of hair once a week is useful to make masks from fermented milk products - kefir, yogurt.
- The hairdryer should be used only in emergency cases. The best drying for hair is natural drying at room temperature.
- Often, hair loss occurs as a result of a shortage in the body of silicon, which is simply necessary for normal growth, both hair and nails. Eat raw fruits along with peel, chopped bread, vegetables, greens, berries.
- Brushes and combs should be soft, without sharp rods, so as not to damage the scalp and hair follicles.
- If you regularly dye your hair, use shampoos and rinses for colored hair - this will allow you to repair damaged strand elements.
Do not be afraid if you have any problems with your hair, contact the appropriate doctor. A professional in his field, he will certainly find a way out of an unpleasant situation, using an individual approach to each patient. Despite the narrow specialization, the trichologist is always in demand - everyone who is not indifferent to the health and beauty of his curls appeals to him.