All iLive content is medically reviewed or fact checked to ensure as much factual accuracy as possible.
We have strict sourcing guidelines and only link to reputable media sites, academic research institutions and, whenever possible, medically peer reviewed studies. Note that the numbers in parentheses (, , etc.) are clickable links to these studies.
If you feel that any of our content is inaccurate, out-of-date, or otherwise questionable, please select it and press Ctrl + Enter.
Ointments from papillomas
Medical expert of the article
Papilloma is a benign skin formation that develops as a wart. Sometimes such growths cause inconvenience, hinder and even hurt what makes a patient think about their removal. Most often, the papillomas are removed surgically, with the help of liquid nitrogen, a laser or an electric current. However, there are more gentle methods - for example, ointment from papillomas, which can help at an early stage of the disease.
Indications of the ointments from papillomas
Indications, based on which ointments are prescribed from papillomas, is determined by a doctor, because external drugs do not work at all stages of the viral process.
Ointments are used for independent or complex treatment of papillomas (warts), as well as as a topical drug for other viral diseases:
- with dermatitis and dermatosis;
- with viral rhinitis;
- with scaly, shingles or vesicles;
- at a molluscum contagiosum.
Some types of ointments can also be used to prevent viral lesions.
Ointments are one of the most convenient forms of release of drugs from papillomas, as this is the only way to directly affect the formation. In addition, a greasy drug usually does not have a systemic effect, which significantly reduces the likelihood of side effects. This point is especially relevant in the treatment of papillomas in children and pregnant women.
The most suitable form of the drug is usually chosen by the doctor, taking into account the particular patient and viral pathology. In addition to ointments, pills often use pills, injections, suppositories and suppositories. It is not recommended to select a drug independently, as the effectiveness of treatment directly depends on this choice.
Names of ointments from papillomas
Antiviral ointments from papillomas:
- Oksolinovaya ointment - an antimicrobial and antiviral agent, which is often used for preventive purposes during influenza epidemics. Ointment is easily perceived by the body, it can be used even for the treatment of children. Papillomas can be lubricated with ointment up to 3 times a day. If ineffectiveness is prescribed a more potent drug;
- ointment Viferon is a drug based on interferon, which explains the antiviral and immunomodulatory abilities of the drug. Viferon is applied to papillomas up to 4 times a day for a week. Sometimes during the treatment, itching and irritation of the skin can occur;
- ointment Panavir is a biologically active drug with a virosostatic effect. Recommended use of Panavir 5 times a day, for 5-10 days. Caution: allergy to the drug is possible.
Ointments based on acids and microelements:
- Salicylic ointment from papillomas is not prescribed as often, since it has a relatively weak bactericidal action, and does not act on viruses at all. Nevertheless, at the initial stages of development, the purpose of the ointment can be justified: it is used for applying three times a day, it is possible to bandage. In papillomas, a 10% preparation is usually used;
- Zinc-salicylic ointment can be used for the treatment of papillomas in connection with the emollient properties of the drug. The tissues of the papilloma are softened and dried, which leads to a decrease in local manifestations of the disease. The drug is applied up to 2 times a day, about a week;
- Zinc ointment from the papillomas allows you to soften and dry the formations, which allows you to get rid of them in the early stages of appearance. The frequency of application of the ointment is three times a day. Side effects are limited to allergies and signs of skin irritation.
Ointments based on natural components (including vegetable):
- Ointment Vishnevsky from papillomas helps with inflammation and suppuration of such formations. Ointment is applied to small areas of the skin, affected by papilloma, twice a day - in the morning and in the evening. Treatment with ointment should not be prolonged, as unwanted rashes and swelling of the tissues may appear;
- ointment Stefalin is a popular remedy for removing unwanted birthmarks, warts and papillomas. The manufacturer guarantees only the herbal composition of the preparation, at the same time the exact number and list of ingredients is not specified. The action of the ointment is based on necrotizing the tissues, because of which it is not recommended to apply the product to a healthy skin zone. As a rule, a single application of the preparation is carried out, after which a burned crust forms on the place of unwanted formation, which eventually disappears. If necessary, reapply the product;
- Chinese ointment from the papillomas of San Fen Zhong has a bactericidal-cauterizing effect, after which a chemical burn is formed at the site of the papilloma. Cautions: it is unacceptable to apply the ointment on extensive skin surfaces, on healthy skin, on mucous membranes, on open wounds and in the eyes. Use the drug should be very, very accurate. The course of therapy can consist of 2-5 applications.
- cow ointment from papillomas - is intended for removal of papillomas in cattle and small domestic animals. Contains salicylic acid and resorcinol. Ointment is used twice a day for 1-2 weeks. Do not take this product inside, and also apply to too large areas of skin.
Other types of ointments:
- Bonofont is an ointment from papillomas on the eyelids, with an active component of bromonaphthoquinone. Ointment is applied for the lower eyelid up to 3 times a day. Usually they practice three five-day courses with intervals between them in two days. Sometimes there may be allergic reactions to the drug;
- Malavit is a biologically active ointment from flat papillomas and condylomas. Reduces the severity of discomfort, eliminates inflammation. Usually the drug is applied twice a day, until the problem disappears completely.
Ointment after removal by papillomas
After removing the papilloma, the doctor tells the patient in detail how to take care of the damaged skin. It is usually recommended to use antiseptic solutions and ointments, which should be applied about three times a day.
A good effect for the restoration of tissues is provided by oil solutions of vitamins A or E, as well as ointments based on hyaluronic acid, which create a kind of protective layer on the damaged skin that does not allow the tissues to dry out.
Less commonly used hormonal ointments - for example, hydrocortisone ointment, which perfectly eliminates the signs of the inflammatory process and promotes rapid healing of the wound.
When forming a dry crust on the site of the wound, it is possible to use Solcoseryl ointment, which promotes early regeneration. Solcoseryl is applied once a day, for a week.
Pharmacological properties of external means - ointments from papillomas - depend 100% on the composition of the drug, therefore, it is impossible to carry out one dynamic line between such means. So, the main effect of antiviral ointments is the destruction of viruses, which by itself leads to inhibition of the development of the papilloma, and sometimes even to the regress of the neoplasm.
In addition, there are a number of drugs that, when applied locally, cause tissue necrosis. Usually such preparations include ointments and liquids based on strong acids and alkalis. Similar preparations "deduce" a papilloma by a chemical way, simultaneously involving and nearby a healthy skin. This method is quite dangerous, and especially if you apply it yourself at home.
The vast majority of antiviral ointments from the papillomas penetrate well into the deep layers of the skin, which allows them to be used to treat deep-lying neoplasms. At the same time, the amount of ointment that falls into the systemic circulation is usually scanty, so the drug can not exert total antiviral effects. If you want to destroy the virus in the body, resort to medical treatment in the form of tablets or injections.
Local preparations with cauterizing and other similar properties do not penetrate the bloodstream, so their kinetic abilities are not considered at all.
Use of the ointments from papillomas during pregnancy
Despite the fact that the systemic effects of ointments from papillomas have not been proven, it is permissible to use these drugs for pregnant and lactating patients only with the permission of the doctor. The fact is that during the physiological periods of a woman's life, treatment with any medication (both external and internal use) is highly undesirable, because of their possible negative effects on the fetus and the baby. Therefore, it is not necessary to hurry with the choice of the drug: first you need to get advice from a doctor who leads a pregnancy or provides recommendations regarding the period of breastfeeding.
Sometimes a doctor may advise you to delay with the treatment of the papilloma before the end of the baby's breastfeeding, or until the baby's birth. Everything depends on the concrete case and on the concrete woman: this is individual. To make the right decision, the doctor can prescribe tests to assess the degree of infection by the virus and determine the necessity and urgency of further treatment.
Contraindications to the use of ointments from the papillomas can differ significantly, therefore it is very important to carefully read the annotation to the medicine before applying this or that external agent. Often, such drugs are not recommended for use by pregnant and nursing patients, as well as children.
With great care use the drug those individuals who have a tendency to allergic reactions to any of the ingredients presented in the composition of the ointment. To make sure that there is no allergy, smear a small amount of the drug on the arm fold and observe the reaction. If during the day nothing suspicious has happened, then the ointment can be used in relation to the papillomas. However, such an experiment can not be carried out with necrotic drugs based on acids and alkalis, since such agents when applied to healthy skin can cause severe burns. Before using such ointments, you should consult an experienced medical professional.
Side effects of the ointments from papillomas
Side effects sometimes occur when the external drug is misused, or if there is an allergy. As a rule, side effects are manifested in the form of local changes, such as:
- hyperemia of the skin;
- sensation of burning and soreness;
- symptoms of local irritation;
- small swelling of the tissues;
- limited dermatitis;
- the appearance of sores and erosion by the type of burn at the place of use of the ointment.
If there are similar signs, then the use of ointment from the papillomas is stopped and turned to the doctor.
Dosing and administration
Ointments from the papillomas are used only externally, topically, causing a pathological formation and trying not to affect the nearest healthy tissues. The frequency of application of such drugs is from 2 (from morning to night) up to five times a day, depending on the doctor's recommendations.
If the instructions do not say otherwise, then the duration of therapy with ointments from papillomas is from 10 to 14 days. Not all ointments are applied daily: some of them are used only 1-2 times a week.
It is not recommended to make your own adjustments to the treatment plan prescribed by the doctor, since this directly can affect the quality of treatment. Often, in addition to external application of ointments, the doctor also prescribes additional treatment, including the use of tablets or other medications - usually an antiviral action.
If the drug does not have a systemic effect on the body, then an overdose is considered almost impossible. Sometimes the symptoms of poisoning occur when you accidentally or deliberately use the ointment inside. In such a situation it is recommended to wash the stomach, take a sorbent preparation and drink a large amount of liquid during the day.
External overdose of ointment is not possible in principle, however, a slight increase in adverse events is possible with the use of ointment for a long time.
Interactions with other drugs
Simultaneous use of several external medicines on one skin site is not recommended, as unpredictable interaction of active components of preparations may occur. For this reason, ointments and creams should not be applied to one area, unable to withstand a minimum time interval of 2 hours between applications.
In addition to undesirable manifestations of interaction, certain combinations of drugs may lead to the development of an allergic reaction. The doctor, prescribing the treatment scheme, necessarily takes this into account.
With the independent use of ointments from the papillomas to apply them chaotically or unsystematically, combining or combining with each other, is unacceptable.
Are there any specific storage conditions for ointments from papillomas?
Like other medicines, ointments are stored in compliance with certain requirements specified in the instructions for the specific medication. Some drugs can be stored without restrictions in the temperature regime, while others - strictly in cool conditions (for example, in the refrigerator). The latter often refers to antiviral drugs, which in a warm room can lose their antiviral activity. For example, it is desirable to keep Panavir gel at a temperature of + 4 ° C to + 25 ° C, and oxolin ointment to + 10 ° C. At the same time, it is strictly forbidden to freeze medicinal ointments, otherwise they will lose their medicinal abilities.
The correct approach to storing the ointment from the papillomas guarantees the preservation of its medicinal properties throughout the expiration date, which must necessarily be indicated on the package of the remedy. If the ointment is stored incorrectly, then it will not give the expected effect: besides, the consistency, smell and even color of the preparation may change. All these signs can indirectly indicate that the medication is not good for use.
The period during which this or that drug is suitable, should be written on the visible part of the package. This fact should be given special attention, since the quality of treatment can depend on this.
And yet, are there effective ointments from papillomas? Most medical specialists in dermatology assure that the treatment of papilloma can be effective only in the case of an integrated approach that includes:
- antiviral treatment (both local and systemic);
- stimulation of immunity;
- surgical removal of formations.
Treatment is often quite long, which requires considerable patience and endurance. Nevertheless, the disease can be cured, and ointment from the papilloma will help to do this quickly and efficiently.
To simplify the perception of information, this instruction for use of the drug "Ointments from papillomas" translated and presented in a special form on the basis of the official instructions for medical use of the drug. Before use read the annotation that came directly to medicines.
Description provided for informational purposes and is not a guide to self-healing. The need for this drug, the purpose of the treatment regimen, methods and dose of the drug is determined solely by the attending physician. Self-medication is dangerous for your health.