Since there are significant differences in the structure of the female and male genital organs, it makes sense in one article to address the problems of one particular gender, rather than speak in general phrases. Today we will talk about the problem of itching in an intimate place in men.
It must be said that, despite all the painfulness of the symptom, the strong sex is in no hurry to go with the problem of intimate itch to the doctor. Someone simply refers to the symptom blithely and believes that everything will pass by itself, while others experience a psychological barrier when it comes to the problems of an intimate plan. And there are those who are simply afraid that the itch will be a symptom of an existing sexually transmitted disease, which it is better to keep quiet.
In fact, there are many reasons for the appearance of itching in intimate places, but it is only the specialist doctor who can determine which of the symptoms is associated with the diagnosis, and then after certain studies. Making yourself a diagnosis is unprofessional, but to have an idea of the possible causes of itching in intimate places is even useful for general development.
Before trying to understand the factors that cause itching, you need to understand for yourself what this symptom is. Itching physicians call the body's response to certain stimuli, which can be both external and internal. It is like an intermediate stage, after which pain will follow. But I must say that it is sometimes easier to endure pain than itching, which simply forces a person to somehow affect the itchy place, namely scratching it. And since itching does not occur from scratch, the comb can only aggravate the problem, leading to the formation of wounds.
So, what can lead to the appearance of severe itching in the intimate zone in men, causing damage to themselves? The causes can be external and internal. Consider first non-pathological external causes:
- Itching is a response to the effects of irritating factors, which can be simple physiological excretions (urine, feces, etc.). If a man does not pay due attention to hygiene of the penis and perineum, it is not surprising that in the groin area, itching and irritation may appear (redness, swelling of the tissues, burning due to the appearance of microcracks on the skin).
- But itching and redness in the intimate area in men is not always indicative of unsatisfactory hygiene. Symptoms may appear suddenly after you start wearing new underwear. Perhaps the panty fabric contains synthetic threads that cause allergic reactions from the male body. Usually, in such situations, itching, redness and rashes (and they are quite possible with allergies) pass almost immediately after the refusal to wear unsuitable underwear.
- An allergic reaction can occur not only in response to the composition of the underwear, but also to the detergents that were used in washing clothes. If many powders cause an allergic irritation on the hands, let alone delicate sensitive skin in intimate places.
- Allergy to tissue and powders is only part of the iceberg. The fact is that such manifestations are also characteristic for individual sensitivity to individual components of detergents used for intimate hygiene (soap, shower gel, special products), various lubricants used during intercourse and condoms (this may be allergic to latex or additional components).
- What else can cause allergy and itching in intimate places? Of course, medicines. In case of hypersensitivity to the components of local and systemic drugs, various reactions may occur, including itching, burning, rash on the skin. If it is a question of solutions and ointments applied externally in intimate places, it is not surprising if allergic manifestations appear in this area.
- But back to the underwear. Synthetic fabrics in underwear and clothes are dangerous not only for the possibility of allergic reactions to them, but also for the "greenhouse effect" they create. "Non-breathing" linen contributes to the fact that the temperature in the genital area will be constantly increased, which can cause not only an itching in the perineum, but also a violation of the reproductive function of the man.
- It must be said that hypothermia, which reduces local immunity, is no less dangerous for intimate zones than overheating. Itching can be a kind of allergic reaction to cold, or it can be caused by a decrease in the body's defenses, and as a result, the reproduction of the opportunistic microflora on the skin. For men, it is dangerous, like excessive wrapping of the pelvic area, and its freezing, and even more so a sharp change in temperature.
Now it's time to pay attention to external pathological reasons, i.e. Diseases that affect the external skin in the intimate zone. The following diseases can be considered risk factors for the appearance of this pruritus:
- Pediculosis. It is not necessary to think that this disease is characteristic only for the area of the head. Lice can be found on any hairy part of the summer, including the pubic region. Of course, the pubic louse in appearance is somewhat different from the "lodgers" on the head (it is very small, translucent and sedentary), but the itching that it can cause a month after infection is much stronger than the itching of head lice.
- Mycosis, for example, ringworm in the groin. Foci of damage by microscopic fungi, as well as lice, can also be observed on any parts of the body covered with hair, including the area of the pubis, perineum, scrotum, anus. And one of the symptoms of mycosis of the genital organs is the painful itching and burning sensation in the perineum in men.
By the way, reproduction of fungi in an intimate place can be triggered just by wearing synthetic underwear that does not allow the skin to breathe and creates a zone in the groin with increased temperature and humidity. Namely, such conditions are necessary for fungi to reproduce.
On our skin, and especially in delicate areas, many pathogenic and opportunistic microorganisms accumulate, but in order for them to multiply and cause illness, special conditions are needed. Heat and moisture are the most suitable of them, especially if, in addition, the body's immunity is not strong enough (and which of us does it have on the level?).
- Moisture and warmth are loved not only by fungi, but also by numerous bacteria. Some microorganisms live on our skin all the time and are waiting for the right moment to correct the demographic situation of their species. Others (pathogenic microflora) come to us on the skin from people who carry this type of bacteria (as transmitted sexually transmitted diseases or STIs), and also expect suitable conditions. It is only immunity to give the slack, and the living microflora accumulated in the intimate zone will begin active reproduction. This, in turn, will lead to the development of the inflammatory process, the first signs of which can be considered itching, swelling of the tissues and their redness.
In this case, the itching will not be as intense and constant as in fungal infection, and soon enough, microscopic cracks and pain may appear on the itch site. In this case, infections that tend to go deep inside the body, usually additionally manifested secretions from the genital organs, besides having an unpleasant odor.
- Eczema on the genitals. Yes, eczematous lesions are not so often seen even in intimate places. True, itching occurs mainly at night. More pronounced symptoms are pain and burning sensation in the genital area, redness, swelling of the skin and blistering in the intimate area.
So far, we have talked increasingly about external factors that can cause itching in the intimate zone in men. But there are also some internal factors that contribute to the appearance of the above symptom. Some of them, such as hormonal imbalances that affect the skin condition, or psychological moments (stresses and experiences) are not pathological in themselves, but they can become predisposing factors to the appearance of various diseases.
It is not necessary to think that hormonal failures are a purely female problem. This also happens in men, which can be seen by reducing the potency, hair loss on the head, mood swings, changes in the shape and skin. Skin (including intimate places) usually becomes more dry and sensitive, which can manifest as itching and irritation.
Psychological problems are also more common in women. Strong sex is considered more stress-resistant than weak. Nevertheless, some situations can cause strong excitement even in strong physically men. So, the sick theme for men is considered various problems in the genital area. It is not much easier to break up relations and work-related problems that reduce a man's self-esteem (demotion, lack of career growth, low salary, dismissal, inability to find a new decent job). Outwardly, a man can hold on well, but boiling inside passion undermines the nervous system. And failures in its work are often manifested by an inadequate reaction to stimuli. Such a reaction can even be itching in the perineum.
But these are all factors that are temporary and not as dangerous as some internal pathological causes. It has long been no secret that some internal diseases, sometimes even not associated with the reproductive system, can also cause "scabies" between the legs. To such diseases carry:
- anemia (low blood red blood cells, which can manifest as tingling and itching of the skin),
- diabetes mellitus (itching in the intimate area is a common symptom of the disease in men and women),
- inflammatory pathologies of the urinary system: cystitis, pyelonephritis, urinary and nephrolithiasis, etc., in which the patient can feel both burning and itching in the urethra (the urine of the patient has a specific composition that can also cause irritation and itching of nearby tissues, if there is no possibility to wash immediately after the act of urination),
- oncological diseases (at an early stage of a malignant process, doctors sometimes hear such complaints),
- intestinal parasites (they can also disturb a man at night, causing an itch in the intimate zone),
- systemic infections (pathogens of internal diseases can spread through the body with blood flow, reaching the inguinal region, plus they significantly reduce the overall immunity, which makes it possible to reproduce the conditionally pathogenic microflora that has settled on the genitals and anus),
- viral pathologies, and first of all, genital herpes (pathology is easily transmitted by sex and is manifested in the form of reddening and the appearance of itchy blisters on the genitals of a man who burst with the formation of painful sores).
It must be said that many of the above-described reasons are also characteristic of women, although their list of risk factors will be even longer. So the strong sex in some way lucky, they are alien to many of the female problems that cause such a painful symptom.