All iLive content is medically reviewed or fact checked to ensure as much factual accuracy as possible.
We have strict sourcing guidelines and only link to reputable media sites, academic research institutions and, whenever possible, medically peer reviewed studies. Note that the numbers in parentheses (, , etc.) are clickable links to these studies.
If you feel that any of our content is inaccurate, out-of-date, or otherwise questionable, please select it and press Ctrl + Enter.
Medical expert of the article
A slag-free diet is a therapeutic diet, aimed at cleansing the body in a short time. Consider its features, an approximate diet and indications for use.
Such a concept as a slag-free diet is different from the usual diets used for weight correction. The main difference is that it allows you to cleanse the body of accumulated toxins and toxins, normalize the digestive system and even get rid of cellulite. As a rule, such nutrition is prescribed for medical studies of the abdominal cavity (ultrasound, irrigoscopy, colonoscopy) or before routine surgical interventions.
Such indications for use are related to the fact that the body must get rid of harmful substances as much as possible in order to obtain a reliable diagnostic picture. In some cases, food is used as a discharge, to prevent slagging, to eliminate problems with the gastrointestinal tract. The diet can be used without medical appointment, so to use it or not, everyone decides for himself, but there are a number of common indications:
- Dangerous ecological situation in the place of residence.
- Frequent overeating, eating harmful food.
- The diet consists of products with an increased number of animal fats, starch, various synthetic additives.
- Harmful habits: smoking, alcoholism, etc.
- Passive and overweight.
In addition to the above recommendations, there are a number of symptoms that indicate violations:
- Rapid fatigue and loss of strength, irritability, problems with sleep, depression.
- Dysfunction of the digestive tract, frequent attacks of nausea, constipation.
- Frequent skin rashes, excessive dryness or fatness.
- Deterioration of the condition of hair and nails, pain in the joints.
- Aggravation of allergic and chronic diseases.
- Dental problems: stomatitis, periodontal disease, caries.
- Disorders of the cardiovascular and nervous system.
- Increased risk of cancer.
The basis of the diet is low-calorie food. The diet includes easily digestible and refined foods. Splitting, they leave no residue that complicates digestion. Most often, the therapeutic diet is observed for 3-7 or more days. The planned purification for preventive purposes can be repeated 1-2 times a month. Some nutritionists say that with the right approach to eating and drinking a lot of fluids, you can get rid of 3-5 kg of extra weight in 7 days.
Slag-free diet before colonoscopy
Many diagnostic measures require special training. A slag-free diet before colonoscopy implies restrictions in food for 3-7 days. This allows you to get the most reliable results of the survey.
Colonoscopy is one of the most effective methods of colon examination. With its help, you can conduct an examination of the digestive organ along its entire length and evaluate its condition. During the procedure, a special probe is used.
From the diet it is necessary to exclude fatty and fried foods, meat, fresh vegetables and fruits, alcohol, carbonated drinks, confectionery. Contraindicated evening meals. Dinner should be 3-4 hours before bedtime and consist of sour-milk products, water or green tea. Easily digestible food prevents the formation of indigestible residues.
As a rule, a diet is prescribed two days before the examination. This makes it possible to bring the organism back to normal and increase the informative value of the diagnostic procedure in the detection or treatment of diseases.
Slag-free diet before operation
With indications for surgical intervention, the patient must undergo a number of preparatory procedures. Slag-free diet before operation is included in this complex. Restrictions in nutrition are necessary for cleaning the intestines, so that after the application of anesthesia, there are no undesirable reactions, in the form of nausea and vomiting. The diet is observed for 3-5 days and is stopped 12 hours before the operation. During this period, it is contraindicated to take any food.
The slag-free diet should consist of:
- Low-fat meat and fish
- Boiled vegetables
- Gallet biscuits, crackers
Under the ban fall:
- Wholegrain and dairy products
- Fresh fruits and vegetables
- Alcohol, carbonated drinks, strong coffee and tea
- Various spicy spices
- Vegetable and animal fats
Compliance with these recommendations helps to minimize the risks of complications. If the patient has broken the slag-free diet or did not comply with it at all, this can lead to serious consequences. First of all, it's vomiting under anesthesia - vomit gets into the lungs, complicating the work of doctors. Medical statistics recorded a number of deaths for this reason. Vomiting attacks complicate the action of anesthetics, so the patient excruciates from anesthesia.
With the difficulties of the pre-operational period, smokers also face. Many of them are frightened by the upcoming operation, so they give up the addiction the day before the operation. This does not affect its outcome in any way, but it negatively affects the recovery period. That's why doctors recommend not to smoke 7-10 days before the planned surgical intervention. This rule applies to alcohol. The above recommendations and a slag-free diet are relevant in the event that before the surgery are prepared in advance for 1-3 weeks. In case of emergency, the surgeon will not postpone the procedure, and wait for cleaning the digestive tract.
General information of the slag-free diet
There are many reasons for slagging the body and various disorders. The essence of the diet is to get rid of the accumulated harmful substances, to restore the normal functioning of the organism and all its systems. Very often it is used to diagnose the digestive system. The cleansing diet has two options:
- The removal of harmful substances from the body (toxins, slags) is calculated. During the cleaning period, only berries, fruits and purified water are allowed to be consumed. Any other products are prohibited. The duration of such treatment should not exceed three days.
- The second option is used to correct body weight and release the body from accumulated harmful substances. During this period, low-calorie foods (vegetables, meat, fish, milk) are allowed. Under the ban fall fatty fish and meat, various smoked products, sausages, spicy, sweet, salty and, of course, alcohol.
The peculiarity of the dietary course is that its effect is manifested during the first days. This allows you to return a sense of lightness, reduce weight, take care of the health of the skin and hair. Let's consider in detail the benefits of a cleansing diet:
- Improvement of general well-being and memory, increase of working capacity.
- Normalization of body weight, treatment of cellulite and increased swelling.
- Cleansing at the cellular level.
Like any diet that restricts the intake of substances necessary for its normal functioning, slag-free food has side effects:
- Increased weakness, loss of strength.
- Dizziness and headaches, blurred vision.
- The aggravation of hunger.
These symptoms indicate the onset of purification. Because of the low calorie content, it is difficult to lead a habitual way of life, to remain active. Therefore, during the diet it is better to abandon the increased physical exertion, replacing them with walking walks or swimming. Treatment is contraindicated if the recommended products are not digested. Before it starts, you should consult your doctor or dietitian.
What products are included in the slag-free diet?
Cleansing the body, like losing weight, is a lengthy process that requires a serious approach. It is important to determine what foods should be left in the diet, and from which to refuse. Let us consider in more detail what products are included in the slag-free diet and the features of the composition of the diet.
The daily menu is recommended to be composed of:
- Vegetables in boiled and fresh form.
- Berries and fruit.
- Sour-milk products with low fat content.
- Various porridges (buckwheat, lentil, rice).
- Brewed teas (green, herbal, fruit), natural juices.
These foods can stay in the diet, but you need to limit their use:
- Low-fat meat and poultry (veal, rabbit)
- Low-fat fish and seafood
- Vegetables (potatoes, tomatoes)
- Porridge (semolina, oatmeal) and whole wheat pasta
The list of prohibited products implies a complete rejection of them for the period of the diet:
- Legumes, garlic, sorrel, mushrooms
- Sour berries and fruits
- Smoked meat, pickles, marinades
- Fat food and semi-finished products
- Alcohol, soda, shop juices, coffee, strong tea
- Fatty grades of meat, poultry, fish, soups and broths on their basis
- Dried fruits, seeds, nuts
- Sauces, spicy seasonings, gravy
Based on the list of permitted and limited products, the slag-free diet allows full nutrition and purification of the body of harmful substances.
What can and what can not?
What can you eat?
Slag-free meals, aimed at cleansing the body, so it is very important to know what you can eat. Food should be easily digestible, do not cause feelings of discomfort in the digestive tract.
Let's consider the list of recommended products for purification:
- Fresh, boiled, steamed and baked vegetables (zucchini, cucumbers, carrots, beets, fresh herbs and leaf salad, green onions).
- Kashi (buckwheat, brown rice, lentils, millet).
- Macaroni and flour products from whole-grain flour.
- Sour-milk products with low fat content.
- Fruits and berries (watermelon, melon, apples, pear, peaches, lemon).
- Purified water, green and weak black tea, natural juices, compotes without sugar.
The above-described products can be complemented with dishes from low-fat meat, fish and poultry. You can eat, but it is necessary to limit the amount of tomatoes, potatoes, seafood, garlic, honey in the diet. Particular attention should be paid to the method of cooking. Recommended boiled, baked, steam food, that is, with minimal heat treatment.
What you can not eat?
Restrictions in nutrition during the purification of the organism depend on its purpose. Consider what can not be eaten on a slag-free diet:
- Fatty grades of meat, fish and poultry, cooked on their basis dishes.
- Fresh cabbage, beans, mushrooms (fresh, canned, pickled), sorrel, spinach, turnip, radish.
- The first dishes and cereals, cooked in milk.
- By-products, semi-finished products, canned food.
- Smoked meat, marinated products, sausages, preserves.
- Bread and confectionery.
- Various seasonings and spices.
- Alcohol, carbonated drinks, kvass, strong tea, coffee.
If the diet is aimed at preparing for surgery or diagnostic procedures, then the requirements are more stringent. If the diet is directed to weight loss and preventive elimination of toxins and toxins, a more gentle option is shown.
Slack diet menu
Initially, the menu of a slag-free diet implied the use of products grown on their own, that is, at home in the garden. In their composition of such products there are no harmful substances. Adhere to this rule is very difficult, so there is a principle by which you can plan a diet. Organism clogs high-calorie foods, so they must be abandoned. The menu should consist of a healthy and low-calorie food with minimal heat treatment.
Correctly composed menu of a slag-free diet makes it possible to improve the organism within a short period of time. This is suitable for such food options:
- It is based on the refusal to use prohibited products. This allows to achieve a comprehensive cleansing action. Observe such a diet for 3 days. In the diet should be present only fruits, berries and purified water. You can also eat vegetable soups, light salads from fresh vegetables, natural juices. The pronounced effect on excretion of slags is provided by such products: apples, pears, oranges, grapefruits, carrots, celery, pineapples.
- The second option is longer - up to 14 days. During this period, you can eat protein foods (lean meat and broths, dairy products). Under the ban should be refined foods, spicy seasonings and food additives.
Both variants have a low calorie content, so they are contraindicated for patients with a weakened organism, for children, during pregnancy and lactation. Before it is recommended to consult a doctor and limit physical activity.
Menu for 3 days
Short-term slag-free diet is most often prescribed before the diagnosis of digestive organs or operation. It allows you to effectively cleanse the intestines and detoxify the body.
Consider an approximate menu for 3 days:
- Breakfast: green tea and salad of fresh cucumber, greens with dressing from lemon juice and sesame.
- Snack: an apple and a glass of natural juice.
- Lunch: vegetable soup with carrot and cauliflower broth.
- Snack: a handful of any berries and green tea.
- Dinner: buckwheat with beetroot.
- Second dinner: banana and green tea.
- Breakfast: a handful of berries and green tea.
- Snack: boiled beets, grated on a fine grater.
- Lunch: celery salad with cucumber and lemon juice dressing.
- Snack: pear, apple and melon salad or any other fruit.
- Dinner: Baked pumpkin and orange.
- Second dinner: green tea.
- Breakfast: apple.
- Snack: salad of bell pepper and boiled carrots.
- Lunch: vegetable soup with shallots and fresh herbs.
- Snack: berry juice.
- Dinner: a small piece of boiled fish with vegetable salad.
- The second dinner: green tea with a banana.
This variant of nutrition speeds up digestion, but it is not recommended to stick to it longer than three days. At the end of the diet, it is necessary to go out right from it, so as not to harm the body. The output should be gradual, that is, every week in the diet, you need to add a couple of contraindicated products. It is very important to observe the fractional diet and drink plenty of water.
The slag-free diet is aimed at positive changes not only in well-being, but also in appearance. Adhering to it for 3-10 days, you can get rid of 3-5 kg of weight, improve the condition of the skin, nails and hair. This dietary course is quite complicated, as it has many limitations, but its results are worth it.