All iLive content is medically reviewed or fact checked to ensure as much factual accuracy as possible.
We have strict sourcing guidelines and only link to reputable media sites, academic research institutions and, whenever possible, medically peer reviewed studies. Note that the numbers in parentheses (, , etc.) are clickable links to these studies.
If you feel that any of our content is inaccurate, out-of-date, or otherwise questionable, please select it and press Ctrl + Enter.
Alcohol during gastritis
Medical expert of the article
Everyone probably noticed that after drinking alcohol the appetite greatly increases and food is eaten much more than usual. This is due to the aggressive effects of alcohol on the gastric mucosa and its irritation as a result, causing an increased secretion of hydrochloric acid. Such a reaction places alcohol under gastritis under a ban, but is there an exception to the rule, after all, to become an absolute sober, not to take a sip on special dates and events not in our traditions?
Can I drink alcohol during gastritis?
The phase of aggravation of gastritis generally excludes the use of any alcoholic beverages. In remission, a regular reference to a glass is unacceptable, but occasionally, once or twice a month, a small portion of high-quality alcohol can still be drunk, but with certain reservations:
- alcohol with gastritis with high acidity - any alcoholic beverages from strong to low alcohol contain ethyl alcohol. It enters the blood through the walls of the stomach, spreading through the bloodstream, causes intoxication. How quickly this will happen and to what extent it depends on the strength, the presence of artificial additives, carbon dioxide, the volume, whether it is drunk on an empty stomach or not, if it is stuck with something.
Alcohol on an empty stomach during gastritis with high acidity will cause great harm to the organ mucosa, and it also reduces the production of enzymes necessary for processing fatty foods, often accompanying feasts. The stomach suffers from this doubly, the food lump lingers longer in it, stagnation and fermentation take place. In order to reduce the harm of alcohol in gastritis, you must first eat light food, do not save on its quality, observe moderation;
- alcohol with gastritis with low acidity - it would seem that this is the way out that can increase the production of gastric juice. In fact, everything is not so. The gastric mucosa is inflamed due to the insufficiency of hydrochloric acid, and therefore the impossibility of destroying the pathogenic flora from food. The stimulating effect of alcohol enhances this process. Therefore, the rules for the use of alcohol in hyperacid gastritis are valid in this case too;
- alcohol in gastritis and ulcers - gastritis without proper treatment and dieting is often accompanied by a peptic ulcer - the formation of defects on the inner wall of the stomach. They are characterized as a period of exacerbations and remission. In the first case, alcoholic beverages are strictly prohibited, in the second, within reasonable limits, some types are allowed.
What alcohol can you drink during gastritis?
Analyzing various types of alcohol, in order to understand what you can drink during gastritis, cheap, sparkling, fortified wines, energy cocktails, canned beer, carbonated drinks, various surrogates are definitely rejected. What kind of alcohol in gastritis is the safest? Gastroenterologists condescendingly treat small doses:
- expensive red grape dry or semi-sweet wine - it is a good antiseptic, contains vitamins C, B, antioxidants, amino acids, trace elements necessary for the normalization of digestion processes;
- gastritis whiskey - a strong alcoholic drink, obtained from different grains: barley, rye, wheat or corn. After malting, fermentation and distillation, it is subjected to prolonged aging in oak barrels. The right to be called "whiskey" drink gets with a minimum three-year aging. Its permissible dose for gastritis is 50g;
- gastritis brandy - a quality drink during remission has the right to appear no more than 1-2 times a month during the period of illness subsiding. This is a product of processing white grape varieties, and the proportion of ethyl alcohol in it is 40%. It is also stored for at least 2 years before bottling in oak containers, which saturates it with tannins, lignins, a small amount of amino acids, oils, resins;
- Vodka is also present in the list of permissible gastritis. She is most often given preference for this pathology, if there is a need or just a desire to drink. This, of course, is about certified products, not “samopale”, which can be poisoned. There are even methods of treating gastritis with vodka. The authorship of one of them belongs to Nikolay Shevchenko. He proposes taking a mixture of unrefined sunflower oil with 40% vodka to get rid of various diseases, including inflammation of the mucous membrane. In one container 30 g of each is mixed, vigorously shaken for 5 minutes and drunk. The oil has a high content of linoleic acid, vitamin E, phosphates. Take this treatment three times a day for 20 minutes before meals for 10 days, after 5 days break, and so on until full recovery;
- unfiltered beer with gastritis - German scientists conducted studies that assert the usefulness of such a drink in this pathology. It is made from barley, which promotes the restoration of the mucous membrane, hops in it has analgesic properties and softens the effect of alcohol on the body. Beer drink slows the growth of bacteria, removes excess salts and acids. In addition, this variety is not exposed to artificial clarification, heat, its shelf life is not more than a week, which indicates its naturalness. Despite these characteristics, it during gastritis can not be drunk more than 0.33 liters per week.