Why pulls the lower abdomen on the 5th week of pregnancy and what should I do?
Internal sensations of expectant mothers in the fifth week may be different: in some cases the body works as before - before pregnancy, and in others, the period of early toxicosis starts, which causes considerable discomfort. Often happens that pulls the lower abdomen on the 5th week of pregnancy - this symptom is not always considered unfavorable, but still it will be correct as soon as possible to consult a specialist.
Situations when pulling the lower abdomen at week 5 occur in almost every second woman who is in an "interesting position" and in the prevailing number of cases the causes of discomfort are precisely the physiological ones when there is a gradual increase in the uterine organ with the stretching of the fibers of the musculature and ligaments. With physiological sensations during pregnancy, the woman will face more than once, as the uterus will continue to develop and increase, putting pressure on the nearby organs: the bladder, liver, digestive system. In later terms, such feelings will be associated with the preparation of the musculoskeletal structures for labor: the pelvic bones diverge so that the child's exit into the external world is more comfortable for him.
And only 2-25% of pregnant women (according to different data) discomfort in the lower half of the abdomen may be associated with pathology, which we will discuss below.
Causes of the pain in the abdomen at the 5th week of pregnancy
This symptom, like the pulling pains in the lower abdomen in the fifth week, is physiological or pathological.
About the physiological causes of this sign can be said when discomfort in the lower half of the abdomen is associated with an increase in the uterus in the volume: during the enlargement of the organ, not only the myometrium, but also the restraining groups of muscles and ligaments are stretched. This is manifested by drawing painful and uncomfortable sensations in the pelvic area.
However, in many expectant mothers, the cause of the pulling sensations may be hidden behind the pathology - most often it is the hypertension of the uterine organ with an increased risk of spontaneous abortion (miscarriage). In a similar state of pain is very similar to that in the first days of the menstrual cycle. Especially should be alerted, if unpleasant sensations are accompanied by "smearing" from the genital tract (usually it's smears of red-brown color). We should not exclude the possibility of developing a full-fledged bleeding: in such a situation, it is necessary to immediately call "ambulance", since there is a big risk of losing a baby.
Considering the causes of the pulling discomfort in the abdomen at the fifth week, it is necessary to take into account those situations that are not related to the organs of reproduction. For example, sometimes aching pain can indicate a malfunction in the intestine, or a digestive function disorder.
Most often, the pulling sensations in the lower abdomen at week 5 may appear in the following situations:
- with multiple pregnancies;
- at endocrine disruptions (for example, diabetes mellitus);
- with cysts of appendages;
- if there are inflammatory diseases of the reproductive organs;
- after trauma to the abdomen, after unsuccessful falls;
- with a pronounced imbalance of hormones;
- in women with endometriosis or spikes in the small pelvis.
Especially attentive to their feelings should be women who previously had episodes of miscarriage, as well as abortion, or an ectopic pregnancy.
- Previous artificial abortions or curettage of the uterine cavity.
- Contact sex infections, hormonal disruptions, diseases of the hematopoiesis and cardiovascular system.
- Strong stress, depression, neuroses.
- Large physical exertion, weight lifting, injuries, falls, tremors.
- The presence of unhealthy habits (drinking, smoking, taking medication).
- Rhesus (-) blood.
- Endometriosis, adhesion process.
- Multiple pregnancy.
Since there are several reasons for the appearance of pulling sensations in the lower abdominal area at week 5, it is important to turn to the gynecology department in time to save the child.
- Increase of the uterine tone is a sharp contraction of her muscular layer, which can provoke miscarriage. It is very dangerous, if the pulling sensations are accompanied by pain or pass into them, if additional reveals discharge from the genital tract. With these symptoms, treatment should be immediate.
- The pulling sensation in the lower segment of the abdomen at about 5 weeks, accompanied by a slight discharge of blood from the genital cleft, as well as digestive disorders (nausea, vomiting, dyspepsia) may result from an impending miscarriage or fetal growth. In such a case, a visit to the doctor should also not be delayed.
- Inflammations of the reproductive organs, congenital anomalies in the development of the genital area, infectious diseases that are transmitted through sexual contact - such factors also can cause pulling discomfort in the abdomen. To clarify the cause of discomfort, it is necessary to undergo appropriate diagnostics. It is necessary to do this - after all, many diseases can further interfere with the normal development of pregnancy, or cause various problems in childbirth.
- With ectopic pregnancy, the situation when pulling the lower abdomen is not uncommon. After all, the fetal egg, fixing and developing outside the uterine cavity, causes stretching of the muscles and ligaments of other organs - appendages, tubes, and organs of the small pelvis. The described condition is recognized as really dangerous and requires immediate surgical intervention.
Despite a large list of possible negative factors of the appearance of unpleasant drawing symptoms in the lower abdomen, it is not necessary to panic. Just need to immediately go to the medical institution: the specialist will conduct the necessary examination and will accurately indicate the cause of this phenomenon. It is possible that there is absolutely no cause for concern.
Symptoms of the pain in the abdomen at the 5th week of pregnancy
Physiological pulling sensations in the lower segment of the abdomen, if they are not caused by any pathology, often manifest themselves, without being accompanied by other symptoms. Only some pregnant women may have small back pain, fatigue, drowsiness.
Often, just at the fifth week of pregnancy, an early toxicosis starts, which can also occur with pulling sensations in the lower abdomen, as well as with other characteristic signs:
- nausea, morning vomiting;
- increased salivation;
- change in body weight;
- deterioration of appetite;
- decreased blood pressure;
- increased heart activity;
If the pulling sensations in the lower abdomen are a symptom of pathology, then at the same time you can notice other characteristic first signs:
- bloody discharge from the genital organs;
- bleeding by the type of menstrual;
- pain in the abdomen (as with menstruation);
- back pain;
- dizziness, weakness in the legs.
If a pregnant woman finds out such signs, she needs to urgently go to the clinic to the gynecologist. The same applies to cases of severe toxicosis: for example, abundant and frequent vomiting is also considered a weighty reason for an urgent visit to the doctor.
Complications and consequences
If statistics are to be believed, most pregnant women are pulled by the abdomen at week 5 - and this is explained by ordinary physiology: such symptoms do not pose a threat, neither to the fetus, nor to the woman herself.
But it must be remembered that this does not always happen: discomfort can also be associated with pathological changes in the body. The consequences of such changes may be:
- spontaneous termination of pregnancy;
- stop the development of the fetal egg (pregnancy fading);
- ectopic location of pregnancy.
The first two consequences are most often diagnosed precisely in this period - the fifth-sixth week of pregnancy, so this time many experts call critical.
As for ectopic pregnancy, this condition can no longer be corrected. However, timely treatment to the doctor will help to avoid much more serious complications, such as peritonitis - inflammation of the abdominal cavity.
Diagnostics of the pain in the abdomen at the 5th week of pregnancy
In order to determine the reason why pulls the lower abdomen at week 5, some complaints of a pregnant woman for a doctor will not be enough. For an adequate assessment of the situation, in the first place, you need to pass tests:
- general and biochemical blood test;
- general urine analysis.
Depending on the pathology, the blood can show a change in hemoglobin, leukocytes, and elevated hematocrit.
In the presence of metabolic disorders, a change in the calcium and sodium content in the blood can be detected, an increase in the level of urea, creatinine, AST and ALT.
In the urinary fluid, pathology reveals protein, ketone bodies and acetone.
Instrumental diagnostics is often limited to two types of research, which are considered the most informative and reveal a complete picture of the situation:
- Ultrasound is usually performed after the 14th week of pregnancy, but according to the indications the doctors do it earlier. For example, from the fifth to the sixth week, it is possible to predict the course of pregnancy, assess the fetal heart rate and the location of the chorion. Ultrasound helps in a timely manner to see the ectopic location of pregnancy, diagnose a frozen pregnancy, as well as assess the tone of the uterus;
- laparoscopy - during pregnancy it is carried out only for therapeutic and diagnostic purposes (for example, with appendicitis, ovarian torsion, cyst, malignant tumor, as well as with ectopic pregnancy).
Pulling sensations turn into pains that are localized in the navel, gradually moving to the right iliac region.
Drawing sensations can pass into pains that give to the rectum and external genitalia. False urges to defecation are often observed. The posterior arch of the vagina is painful.
Risk of miscarriage
Drawing sensations are accompanied by bleeding from the sexual slit. The tone of the uterus is elevated.
The pulling sensations are quickly replaced by sharp pains from the affected ovary.
Acute inflammation of the appendages
Drawing and painful sensations are accompanied by an increase in body temperature. Attachments are painful on palpation.
Treatment of the pain in the abdomen at the 5th week of pregnancy
With the pulling sensations in the lower abdomen at the fifth week, treatment can be prescribed only if the cause of the condition requires it - for example, with a threatening miscarriage, or with an early toxicosis.
If pulling the lower abdomen for physiological reasons, then treatment is not required.
If necessary, complex therapy is used, including medicines and auxiliary medical measures (establishment of a sparing regimen, diet, physiotherapy, psychotherapy, etc.).
The establishment of a regime and changes in diet are important steps to prevent the threat of termination of pregnancy. For a woman in the fifth week of pregnancy, the presence of a full-fledged healthy sleep and high-quality nutrition, the absence of stress and fears, the measured physical load, and often - sexual rest are very important.
In some cases, the pregnant woman is recommended to consult a psychologist at the fifth week - the early stage of pregnancy is often accompanied by excessive emotional stress, anxiety, phobias.
However, it also happens that you can not do without medication. Depending on the causes of the pulling sensations in the lower abdomen, the doctor may recommend taking certain medications.
- Soothing preparations:
- pustyrnik in tablets (1 tablet 2-3 times a day);
- valerian in tablets - Valerian extract, Valerian Fort, Dormiplant, Valdispert (1-2 tablets per night).
- Preparations of antispasmodic action:
- such drugs as Papaverin or No-shpa (the same Drotaverin) contribute to relaxation of the myometrium and have a good effect in hypertension of the uterus. Such drugs can be prescribed in the form of tablets or intramuscular injections, and Papaverine is often used rectally in the form of suppositories (1 unit at bedtime);
- tablets Magnumum, Magne-B 6 also perfectly regulate the uterine tone, normalize the work of the nervous system, and also help get rid of night cramps. Any of these drugs can be taken on 1 tab. 2-4 times a day, as prescribed by the doctor.
- Hormones (they are used only after assessing the level of hormones in the blood):
- Progesterone (Dyufaston, Iprozhin, Prajisan, Utrozhestan) - these drugs replace the main body hormone in the female body, which ensures the preservation of pregnancy. Duphaston take 1 tab. Once in eight hours, or according to an individual scheme selected by the doctor. Utrozhestan is taken in the amount of 100-200 mg daily. Both drugs are tolerated by the body quite well: only in some cases dyspepsia and changes in appetite are possible;
- glucocorticosteroid hormones (for example, Metipred or Dexamethasone) can be administered in individual amounts in cases of immunity or hyperandrogenic disorders.
- Preparations for stopping bleeding appoint with the presence of bloody discharge. These drugs include Ascorutin, Vitamin K, Dicinone - they reduce vascular permeability, improve capillary blood flow, affect the processes of blood clotting.
- Vitamins are prescribed not only to prevent the threat of miscarriage, but also for the normal development of pregnancy and fetus. In addition to the above-mentioned Magnum (or Magne-B 6 ), doctors often prescribe tocopherol (Vit. E), folic acid, other B vitamins, as well as complex preparations for pregnant women - Vitrum Prenatal, Elevit Pronatal, etc.
Physioprocedures can be prescribed by a doctor as an auxiliary non-drug therapy:
- The method of electroanalgesia - calms and eliminates the small pulling pain in the lower abdomen.
- Electrophoresis with magnesium - helps relax the myometrium, normalizes the uterine tone.
- Reflex electrorelaxation is a technique of reflex relaxation of muscles, which facilitates the rapid removal of hypertonia.
- The method of hyperbaric oxygenation implies the use of oxygen in special chambers. The method improves blood circulation, eliminates hypoxia of tissues, helps to remove toxic substances from the body.
- Acupuncture and reflexotherapy are procedures that help not only to stabilize the uterine tone, but also normalize blood pressure, reduce the psychoemotional load, improve sleep.
If the abdomen is pulled at the 5th week of pregnancy, then the usual alternative methods can help in the initial stages, which can be divided into two categories: what can not and what should be done in such a situation.
- Not recommended:
- use black tea and coffee, as well as soda;
- to eat black chocolate;
- eat dishes from cabbage, peas, beans (this can increase the tone of the uterus);
- use products with chemical additives;
- go to the steam room or sauna;
- observe any diet for weight loss;
- take a hot shower or bath;
- soar your legs;
- to lift heavy objects (more than three kilograms);
- experience, quarrel;
- to ride a bicycle and other types of transport;
- to smoke, to drink alcohol.
- more rest, walking, sleeping;
- listen to classical or other light music;
- eat vegetable food, white meat, drink fresh juices or compotes.
For a normal course of pregnancy, many experts recommend inhaling the aroma of soothing and relaxing herbs - for example, mint, thyme, lemon balm, valerian root or hop cones. This will help to calm down and tune in to positive.
In pregnancy, including in cases when pulling the lower abdomen, the herbs are taken very carefully and only on the recommendation of the doctor. With discomfort in the abdomen, the following recipes with herbs may become relevant:
- Five grams of dandelion rhizome are poured into 200 ml of water and boiled for five minutes. Drink 50 ml in the morning, before dinner and before bedtime.
- One teaspoon of ground bark of the viburnum is poured into 200 ml of water and boiled for 5 minutes. Drink 2 tablespoons three times a day.
- Thirty grams of a Kalinovy color are covered in a thermos and poured with boiling water, leave for 2 hours for infusion. Drink 50 ml before breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Prepare a mixture of 10 g of St. John's wort and 10 g of calendula, pour 400 ml of boiling water, insist 30 minutes under the lid. The received quantity of a drink is drunk for a day, adding honey to taste.
To get rid of the pulling sensations in the lower abdomen at week 5, you can use homeopathic remedies, which are represented by many effective drugs. For example, the discomfort associated with early toxicosis in the fifth week of pregnancy can be eliminated with Sepia, Ipekakuana, Lacticum Acidum and Kokkulus Indica preparations, and Colchicum.
Any of the listed homeopathic medicines take three times a day before the onset of persistent improvement. If after the end of taking medication, the pulling sensations will resume, then the treatment is allowed to be repeated.
If you pull the lower abdomen at week 5, and this is associated with the threat of miscarriage, then homeopathic preparations are taken 4 times a day until the normal course of pregnancy. If a woman already had incidents of miscarriage, then homeopathy should be taken three times a day, from the very beginning of pregnancy and until about the sixteenth week.
With a threatening miscarriage, the most effective are the following:
- Aconite - will help with a threat caused by stress;
- Arnica - eliminate hypertonia associated with a fall or injury;
- Belladonna - can be used to eliminate bloody discharge, painful pulling sensations in the abdomen and back;
- Sabina - appointed with severe bleeding and acute painful sensations in the lower abdomen;
- Viburnum - is used for a threatening spontaneous abortion.
If pulling the lower abdomen at week 5, the operation is performed only in emergency cases:
- with ectopic pregnancy;
- with cysts and other neoplasms requiring urgent surgical intervention.
Usually, such operations are performed by laparoscopy - a gentle intervention that involves minimal tissue damage and a fast period of subsequent recovery.
In pregnancy, laparoscopic operations are relatively frequent. However, whenever possible, they are postponed to the second trimester, when the main processes of laying the bodies of a future child are coming to an end.
If laparoscopy is prescribed for a pregnant woman, it is very important during the surgery to select the right anesthetic and correctly calculate the amount to not harm the fetus. The risk of early and premature births with laparoscopy is reduced to a minimum, so worry about the further normal course of pregnancy is not worth it.
Preventive measures for the appearance of pulling and uncomfortable sensations in the abdomen during pregnancy should be considered during the planning period, or at the time when the woman becomes aware of her "situation".
Thus, unpleasant sensations in the lower abdomen can be prevented if one follows simple medical recommendations:
- It is necessary to visit a gynecologist at the first sign of pregnancy - for example, after the test;
- be sure to follow all the doctor's advice;
- immediately after the onset of pregnancy, you must definitely stop smoking and drinking alcohol-containing beverages (or even better to do so much earlier);
- whenever possible, it is necessary to avoid stressful situations, scandals, mental and physical hypernights;
- preferably more rest, fully sleep, walk, breathe fresh air;
- should abandon any restricting diets, from eating "dry", from semi-finished products and harmful products;
- it is undesirable to travel long distances, especially - to fly by plane, to travel on bad roads;
- Do not take any medication without the permission and appointment of a doctor;
- you should take care of your health: avoid possible accidental falls, avoid large concentrations of people (especially during flu epidemics and colds).
Some women, mainly because of lack of experience or because of their inherent carelessness, ignore the moment when they pull the lower abdomen at the 5th week of pregnancy. If you close your eyes to a similar symptom, you can skip the development of unrecoverable complications - up to the loss of the child. Often there is a danger for the health of the woman herself. Therefore, with the first suspicious symptoms - if you pull the lower abdomen, or there are other negative signs - you need to immediately contact the doctor who will answer any questions about your pregnancy. To make sure that the prognosis for the life and health of the future child is favorable, it is better to be reinsured and examined in addition.