Should I wear a bandage during pregnancy?
A noticeable increase in the abdomen from 4 months is often a reason to think about the band. Each woman is individual and the issue of stomach support should be considered based on the physical condition, the daily activity of the future mother, based on the recommendations of the gynecologist.
As it turned out, obstetrician-gynecologists do not have a common opinion about the expediency of using a bandage. Some doctors are confident in the need for prenatal bandages, while others talk about its negative impact on the peritoneal muscles, which begin to "lazy" and lose their tone. Of course, the final decision to wear a bandage during pregnancy is taken by the woman herself, if there are no medical prohibitions.
Acquire the support device should be in the pharmacy kiosk or the specialized department, not hesitate in detail to ask the seller-consultant about the advantages, disadvantages and quality of this or that product. Before buying an important factor will be fitting the various models of tires, which will allow you to choose the most comfortable and suitable design. Correctly selected, rational and comfortable bandage during pregnancy unloads the spine, prevents the onset of lumbar pain syndrome, prevents stretch marks.
How to choose a bandage during pregnancy?
In choosing a bandage, preference should be given to products made from natural fabrics. The latest developments in hygroscopic, "breathable" materials give a feeling of "second skin". Modern technologies meet the highest hygiene requirements. Distinctly popularity was won by German and English manufacturers, where there are companies whose profile is mainly clothes for future mothers. Naturally, these bandages have a high cost, but they are attractive in design, they are of excellent quality, they are as functional as possible and meet all medical standards. This linen, in comparison with cheap analogs, is produced in a wide range of colors. Doctors also recommend not to go into the variations of the palette and use a bandage during pregnancy white shades to comply with the rules of personal hygiene. Common cheaper models of Italian and Baltic origin look pretty presentable, but do not fulfill their main function - supporting a growing tummy.
How to choose a bandage during pregnancy? It is best to seek the help of specialists from a women's consultation, a pharmacy kiosk or an authorized sales point. It is very important that you feel comfortable and comfortable in the bandage. This is not always possible with the first fitting, so be patient and choose your ideal size and style.
When you need a bandage during pregnancy?
Active intrauterine growth of the baby begins, as a rule, from 20-24 weeks. There is an increase in the load on the spinal column, stretching the skin on the abdomen, which may indicate the need for a bandage.
The most relevant bandage during pregnancy is for women occupying an active life position and spending most of their time standing up. The bandage removes the load from the spine, protects the skin from overexertion, reduces pressure on the vessels of the lower extremities, minimizes or completely relieves the pain syndrome caused by compression of the pelvic zone and coccyx.
The cases of muscular weakness of the peritoneal region during repeated / multiple pregnancies are a fact obliging to apply a bandage to support the growing inside of the child. Indication for the use of the bandage will be varicose veins, osteochondrosis, a number of obstetric pathologies, as well as the threat of premature labor.
How to dress a bandage during pregnancy?
The most convenient model of an antenatal bandage is the shape of the belt. Among its advantages are: easy to dress-remove, adjust the size with Velcro, the presence of an elastic, well-supporting stomach, tape, does not require removal when you visit the ladies' room.
For maximum efficiency, you need to follow certain principles:
- a bandage is put on in a supine position on the back with a pillow under a soft spot;
- lie down in a relaxed state for several minutes, allowing the baby to occupy the space above the tummy (this will reduce pressure on the bladder, will leave a feeling of heaviness);
- tightly (without excessive pressure), fix the bandage with Velcro, after having studied the instruction;
- Turn over on your side and slowly get up.
If the baby in the mother's womb begins to worry after dressing the bandage, it is better to shorten the time of using the underwear, and sometimes even to stop using it.
Bandage during pregnancy in the form of a belt is referred to as a combined type. Until the birth of a child, it is worn by the wide side of the back (support of the back), and after delivery, a wide part is placed in front for the abdominal tightening.
Bandage in the form of panties is not so convenient to use and requires frequent washing. Made from durable rubberized material panties / shorts deliver discomfort when walking and sitting.
How to wear a bandage during pregnancy?
In addition to their own sensations, there are certain rules for wearing a bandage. If wearing supportive underwear is your own initiative, and not a medical recommendation, then when used properly it will not do any harm.
Basic principles and mode of wearing:
- after three hours of wearing it is recommended to do half an hour breaks;
- Continuous use of the bandage is possible by special gynecological prescriptions, if there is a relief of the condition;
- it is important that the bandage does not exert pressure, but perform only the function of holding the stomach;
- the bandage during pregnancy should not cause discomfort, only a feeling of relief and comfort in any position or movement;
- it is possible to apply the bandage to the end of gestation, relying on the personal sensations and recommendations of the doctor.
Benefits of bandage during pregnancy
Bandage during pregnancy is allowed to wear according to medical indications, which include:
- soreness in the spine;
- a high probability of premature birth / miscarriage;
- the presence of underdevelopment of the cervix;
- the fetus has a low position against the background of a weak muscular corset of the peritoneum;
- on the uterus there is a scarring zone due to previous cesarean or other surgical manipulation;
- performed surgical intervention through the peritoneal wall for a year and a half or less before conception;
- Neuralgias caused by a pinched nerve in the lumbar spine;
- waiting for more than one baby.
Despite the ambiguous opinion of obstetrician-gynecologists for wearing supporting underwear, the use of a bandage during pregnancy is undeniable:
- facilitates the process of gestation, which is especially required in cases of multiple pregnancies;
- prevents fatigue and soreness in the legs;
- reduces the load on the vertebrae and pelvic region;
- is able to prevent excessive stretching of the skin of the abdomen (prevent stretch marks);
- It serves as a preventive measure against premature ovulation of the fetus (ideally this occurs for 38 weeks of gestation);
- reduces the risk of miscarriage;
- provides support in case of insufficient tone of the peritoneum muscles;
- contributes to the correct intrauterine location of the baby.
The advantages of modern products should be added to the quality of material that provides comfort in the hottest summer heat, convenience and ease of use, as well as invisibility under clothing.
Bandage in the last weeks of pregnancy
It may be forbidden to apply a bandage in the last weeks of pregnancy (third trimester) if the baby takes an incorrect position during the coup (for example, the buttocks to the "exit"). Wearing a bandage in this case will prevent the child from returning to the correct position before delivery.
In turn, if the baby from the gluteal position turned head down, then wearing the bandage is better to resume, to fix the correct application of the fetus until the moment of labor.
Whatever it was, listen to the advice of the obstetrician-gynecologist and your inner voice.
Bandage after pregnancy
The function of the postpartum bandage is the maintenance of the abdomen and thighs, the removal of fatigue and soreness in the spine, the unloading of the spinal column.
Bandages, used after the birth of the baby, are made in the form of panties with elastic band or a combined type (they are used before delivery).
- On the bandage after pregnancy a number of restrictions are imposed:
- presence of stitches due to caesarean section;
- gastrointestinal diseases;
- kidney disease accompanied by severe swelling;
- skin problems and allergic diseases.
Use the bandage during the postpartum period is possible only after consulting with the doctor. Based on the course of the birth process, the characteristics of the female body and the recovery period after the appearance of the baby, the gynecologist decides on the admissibility and appropriateness of the postpartum bandage.
Most often, in parallel with the use of a bandage during pregnancy and after childbirth, a gymnastic course is prescribed, which leads the muscles and skin into the initial tone.