All iLive content is medically reviewed or fact checked to ensure as much factual accuracy as possible.
We have strict sourcing guidelines and only link to reputable media sites, academic research institutions and, whenever possible, medically peer reviewed studies. Note that the numbers in parentheses (, , etc.) are clickable links to these studies.
If you feel that any of our content is inaccurate, out-of-date, or otherwise questionable, please select it and press Ctrl + Enter.
Medical expert of the article
Velaxin is an antidepressant drug.
The chemical basis of this drug can not be attributed to any of the now known categories of antidepressants.
The effect of the drug is due to the potentiation of neurotransmitter activity within the HC. The substance is a potent SSRI / OIE.
Venlafaxine together with its metabolic product weakly blocks the reverse neuronal capture of dopamine. These elements have similar efficacy when influencing the processes of reverse neurotransmitter capture, and in addition inhibit β-adrenergic manifestations.
The absorption of the active ingredient is 92% when used once. The bioavailability level is 45%.
When administered orally, the peak values of the active ingredient of the drug and its metabolic product within the plasma are noted after approximately 6 hours and 8 hours, respectively. Absorption rate is slower than the rate of excretion. The half-life of the active element is approximately 15 hours.
The level of plasma synthesis of venlafaxine with proteins is 27%, and its metabolism product is 30%. Taking drugs together with food does not change the level of Cmax and absorption rates.
The active element with its decay products is excreted mainly with the help of kidneys. A small insoluble particle of capsular microspheres is excreted with feces.
With kidney / liver failure, the half-life is prolonged.
Use of the velaxin during pregnancy
It is forbidden to prescribe Velaxin to pregnant women.
Among the contraindications:
- disorders in the liver / kidneys in a serious degree;
- lactation period;
- the presence of intolerance with respect to the elements of the drug;
- age younger than 18 years.
Caution is required when using:
- people who have recently undergone a myocardial infarction;
- Persons with elevated blood pressure values;
- patients with a history of seizures;
- people with glaucoma of a closed-angle nature;
- people with a predisposition to develop bleeding in the mucous and skin areas;
- patients with unstable form of tachycardia or angina pectoris;
- patients with increased IOP;
- Persons with a history of manic conditions;
- patients with low weight.
Side effects of the velaxin
For the most part, the side effects of the drug are determined by the size of the dosage. In the case of a long therapeutic course, the frequency and severity of most of them decreases. There is no need to abolish ongoing therapy.
The use of Velaxin can provoke the appearance of such negative consequences:
- feeling of weakness, chills, headaches, increased fatigue, abdominal pains and fever;
- signs from the side of the central nervous system: a sense of intense excitement, and besides anxiety, confusion and drowsiness. Also there is dizziness, apathy, paresthesia, insomnia, strange dreams, hallucinations and myoclonus. There may be an increase in muscle tone;
- disorders in the work of the senses: visual and taste disorders, a sense of ear noise, a disorder of accommodation, as well as mydriasis;
- symptoms on the skin: rashes, photosensitivity, hyperhidrosis, itching, angioedema, maculopapular rash and urticaria;
- disorders of metabolic processes: increased serum cholesterol, development of hyponatremia, weight loss, problems with laboratory tests relative to hepatic activity, and in addition, the syndrome of insufficient isolation of the ADH element;
- problems with the work of the gastrointestinal tract: nausea, constipation, dullness of the sensation of hunger, vomiting, curable increase in activity of the action of liver enzymes, and in addition bruxism;
- violations of the function of CAS: increased heart rate, tachycardia, increased blood pressure, dilated blood vessels, fainting, as well as orthostatic collapse;
- disorders in the hemopoietic system: the appearance of hemorrhages in the mucous and skin areas;
- lesions of the urogenital system: the development of anorgasmia, ejaculation or erection disorders, as well as menorrhagia, and in addition a decrease in libido, urinary retention and menstrual cycle disorder;
- problems with the function of ODA: the emergence of spasms in the muscles, the development of myalgia or arthralgia.
Occasionally such symptoms are noted:
- development of hypomania, pancreatitis, speech disorders, mania, ataxia, bleeding in the gastrointestinal tract, as well as seizures;
- reactions similar to neuroleptic malignant syndrome;
- development of extrapyramidal disorders, serotonergic syndrome, delirious state, dyskinesia in the late stage, and besides akathisia or psychomotor agitation;
- prolongation of QT-interval, arrhythmia, and in addition, cardiac fibrillation;
- prolongation of the bleeding period, development of neutro-, thrombocyto- or pancytopenia, as well as aplastic form of anemia and agranulocytosis;
- the appearance of polyformiform erythema, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, and also alopecia;
- can develop hepatitis, rhabdomyolysis or galactorrhea, and in addition to increase the index of prolactin.
If the medication is drastically abolished or if the portion size is sharply reduced, vomiting, a feeling of severe anxiety or excessive fatigue, and also headaches, diarrhea, dryness of the oral mucosa, sensation of drowsiness or disorientation can be observed. There may be dizziness, paresthesia, anorexia, hyperhidrosis, nausea, hypomania, insomnia and a sense of anxiety.
In connection with the risk of such complications, it is necessary to reduce the size of the dose gradually. The length of the period at which the dosage is reduced is determined by individual characteristics: the features of the pathology, the size of the portions of the medicament, and, in addition, the duration of the drug course.
Dosing and administration
The drug should be taken with food, while drinking the capsules used with plain water. It is forbidden to chew, crumble or dissolve the medicine. The whole day portion is taken for 1 time, in the morning or in the evening. Perform the reception should be at the same time every day.
To eliminate depression, it is required to take 75 mg of the drug per day.
If higher doses are required, start with a dose of 150 mg. The daily dose is increased by 37.5-75 mg at intervals of at least 2 weeks. Doctors recommend taking a maximum of 225 mg of the drug for depression, which has a moderate severity. If there is a severe depression, 350 mg of Velaxin should be taken. Once the desired result is achieved, the dose size must be gradually reduced to the minimum effective dose in any of the cases. It should be borne in mind that the higher the portion consumed, the higher the risk of side-effects.
Depressive episodes that are acute, need to be treated for at least 6 months.
Portions, which are used to prevent the recurrence of the disease, are similar to those used in the treatment of persons with primary seizures. The patient should be examined at least once every 3 months for the effectiveness of the therapy.
If disturbing disturbances of a social or generalized nature are observed, 75 mg of the substance should be consumed once a day. After a maximum of 2 weeks, the condition should improve. In the absence of the effect, it is required to increase the dose to 150 mg.
Persons with kidney failure at a glomerular filtration rate of 10-30 ml / minute should lower the dose by half. When the glomerular filtration rate is less than 10 ml / minute, it is not advisable to take the medicine, because there is not enough information about the treatment of this group of patients.
With a moderate degree of severity of liver failure, it is recommended that half of the portion of the drug be reduced. If the doses taken are increased, it is necessary that the patient constantly remain under the supervision of doctors.
Elderly medication is prescribed cautiously. The serving size should remain within the minimally effective limits. If the dose is increased, it is necessary that the patient's condition is constantly monitored by physicians.
When using drugs in large portions for 1.5 months, it is recommended to reduce the dosage gradually, doing this in a period of at least 2 weeks. The total length of the period during which the portion is reduced is selected individually.
Among the possible signs of intoxication: the development of bradycardia and changes in consciousness or indications on the ECG, the appearance of ventricular or sinus tachycardia and seizures, and in addition a decrease in pressure indicators. There is evidence of a lethal outcome.
Symptomatic measures are carried out. The medicine does not have a special antidote. It is required to keep track of and maintain important functions of the body for life. Sometimes an activated charcoal can be prescribed to slow the absorption of the drug. Specifically induce vomiting should not be. Dialysis will be ineffective.
Interactions with other drugs
It is forbidden to combine the medication with MAOI. After the completion of the course of their application, a break of at least 14 days is required. If MAAO is of a reversible nature, it is permitted to shorten this period to one day. At the same time after the termination of therapy with the use of Velaxin, the use of MAOI can begin after a minimum of 7 days.
The combination with lithium leads to an increase in its indices.
The combination with imipramine causes potentiation of the properties of its major metabolic products - desipramine with 2-OH-imipramine.
Simultaneous reception with haloperidol increases its indices inside the blood, and besides it potentiates its effect.
Application together with clozapine can cause an increase in its plasma values and the development of negative side effects.
It is forbidden to take alcoholic beverages during therapy with Velaxin. There is information about deaths in the case of drugs in combination with alcohol or other psychotropic drugs.
Caution is required when combining with medicines that slow down the activity of CYP2D6 enzymes, as well as CYP3A4.
Simultaneous use with warfarin can enhance its anticoagulant properties.
Velaxin is now often discussed in medical forums. Many patients indicate in their responses to the development of side effects after the use of drugs. In particular, many complaints about the development of withdrawal syndrome, as well as dependence. Almost all comments indicate that it is extremely difficult to reduce the portion of the medication.
Often reported on the occurrence of complications such as convulsions, a feeling of drowsiness, weakness, confusion, and in addition, insomnia, depression and mental disorders. Individual reviews suggest that negative symptoms persisted after the course.
But the responses of doctors about the drug are mostly positive. Individual doctors still claim that the medication is completely safe, and getting into psychological as well as physical dependence is possible only if it is abused.
Most patients disagree with this statement. They insist that the procedure was carried out with full compliance with the instructions, but side effects still arose. More than 2,000 patients even signed a petition addressed to the manufacturer. In her text indicates that the use of the drug causes the development of severe adverse symptoms, including at the stage of drug abolition.
People who took the medication and who became addicted to it or experienced complications, say that the risk of using the drug is much higher than that claimed in the medical community.
To simplify the perception of information, this instruction for use of the drug "Velaxin" translated and presented in a special form on the basis of the official instructions for medical use of the drug. Before use read the annotation that came directly to medicines.
Description provided for informational purposes and is not a guide to self-healing. The need for this drug, the purpose of the treatment regimen, methods and dose of the drug is determined solely by the attending physician. Self-medication is dangerous for your health.