One of the forms of release of drugs used to treat children from birth is syrups. With hoarseness in a child , which is caused by laryngitis, cough or other colds, two types of syrups are used:
- Drugs that make it easier to expel mucus.
- Medicines that suppress coughs.
Syrups for children, unlike drugs for adults, have a milder composition and, if used correctly, do not have a negative systemic effect on the body.
Consider the most effective drugs for children:
Mucolytic, stimulates prenatal lung development. It has secretolytic, expectorant and secretomotor properties. Ambrobene stimulates the serous cells of the glands of the bronchial mucosa, normalizes the ratio of the serous and mucous components of sputum. Reduces the viscosity of sputum and accelerates its excretion.
- Indications for use: respiratory diseases with discharge of viscous sputum. Bronchitis (acute, chronic), pneumonia, bronchial asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Stimulation of prenatal development of the lungs, respiratory distress syndrome in newborns and preterm infants.
- Method of application: for children under two years old, 2.5 ml 2 times a day, for babies from 2 to 5 years old, 2.5 ml 3 times a day, for patients from 5 to 12 years old, 5 ml 2-3 times a day. If a solution is used, then it is used 1 ml 2 times a day for children under 2 years old, 1 ml 3 times a day from 2 to 5 years old and 2 ml for patients 5-12 years old.
- Side effects: allergic reactions, headaches, weakness, dry mouth and respiratory tract, diarrhea, rhinorrhea, dysuria. With prolonged use, there is a risk of developing nausea and vomiting. Cases of overdose have not been recorded.
- Contraindications: hypersensitivity reactions, peptic ulcer of the stomach and duodenum, first trimester of pregnancy, lactation.
Release form: syrup 15 mg/5 ml 100 ml, vial; oral solution 7.5 mg/ml 100 ml, vial; retard capsules, tablets, injection solution.
Bromhexine derivative. Stimulates the organs responsible for the production of mucus in the larynx, creating a good expectorant effect. Ambroxol has mucolytic properties (thinning sputum). Stimulates the formation of surfactant, normalizes altered bronchopulmonary secretion and improves the rheological parameters of sputum (reduces viscosity and adhesive properties).
- Indications for use: acute and chronic inflammatory diseases of the bronchi, lungs, trachea. Pneumoconiosis, bronchiectasis, preparation for bronchography. The drug can be used to stimulate the formation of surfactant in premature infants and newborns with respiratory failure syndrome.
- Method of application: the dosage and duration of the syrup are selected by the attending physician, individually for each patient.
- Side effects: attacks of nausea and vomiting, hypersensitivity reactions. Overdose has similar symptoms, treatment is symptomatic.
Release form: syrup 15mg/15 ml in 100 ml bottles, solution for inhalation, tablets, ampoules.
A drug based on butamirate citrate. It has bronchodilator and anti-inflammatory properties. Suppresses cough reflexes by influencing the corresponding parts of the brain.
- Indications for use: whooping cough, bronchitis, SARS, influenza and other diseases with a dry cough. The medicine is prescribed to eliminate coughing attacks before and after surgical interventions, during operations on the organs of the chest cavity, bronchoscopy.
- Method of application: for children from 3 to 6 years old, 10 ml of syrup 3 times a day, for patients from 6 to 9 years old, 15 ml 3 times a day, for children over 9 years old, 3 scoops of the drug 3-4 times a day. Day. The duration of therapy is determined by the attending physician.
- Side effects: headaches, dizziness, nausea and vomiting, allergic reactions, skin rashes.
- Contraindications: hypersensitivity to the components of the drug, patients under 3 years of age.
- Overdose: hypotension, dizziness, vomiting, diarrhea. Treatment is symptomatic with the use of adsorbents and laxatives.
Release form: syrup in bottles of 200 ml with a measuring spoon with a capacity of 50 ml. Tablets of 20 and 50 mg in blisters of 10 pieces.
Antitussive non-narcotic direct-acting drug with an active ingredient - butamirate. The active substance Sinekod blocks the cough center in the medulla oblongata and does not depress the respiratory center. Also, the drug has bronchodilatory and anti-inflammatory properties, improves blood oxygen supply and spirometry.
- Indications for use: unproductive cough of various etiologies, dry cough with whooping cough and respiratory diseases. Inhibition of the cough reflex for diagnostic and surgical interventions.
- How to use: before meals, dissolving the syrup in a small amount of water. For babies 3-6 years old, 5 ml of syrup is prescribed 3 times a day, for children 6-12 years old, 10 ml of medication 3 times a day, for patients over 12 years old, 15 ml 3 times a day. If oral drops are used, then for babies from 2 months to a year, 10 drops are prescribed 3-4 times a day, for children from a year, 15-25 drops 4 times a day. The dosage and duration of therapy are determined by the attending physician, individually for each patient.
- Side effects: headaches, fatigue, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, stool disorders, various allergic reactions.
- Contraindications: hypersensitivity to the components of the drug, pulmonary bleeding, first trimester of pregnancy. The syrup is not prescribed for children under 3 years of age, and oral drops for babies up to 2 months.
- Overdose: nausea, vomiting, lowering blood pressure, loss of consciousness, dizziness. For treatment, gastric lavage, intake of enterosorbents with further symptomatic therapy are indicated.
Release form: syrup in bottles of 200 ml, drops for oral administration of 20 ml in a bottle.
Antitussive drug of central action. Contains the active ingredient butamirate citrate from the group of non-opioid substances. It has antitussive, anti-inflammatory and expectorant properties. Shows bronchodilator activity.
Indications for use: symptomatic therapy of unproductive cough in various respiratory diseases, whooping cough. Dry cough before / after surgical or diagnostic manipulations.
- Method of application: orally before meals, the dosage and duration of therapy is determined by the attending physician. For children from 3 to 6 years old, 5 ml of syrup is prescribed 3 times a day, for patients from 6 to 12 years old, 10 ml of medication 2-3 times a day. The average duration of treatment is 3-5 days.
- Side effects: headaches and dizziness, stool disorders, nausea, pain in the epigastric region, various allergic reactions.
- Contraindications: individual intolerance to the components of the drug, syrup is contraindicated for patients under 3 years of age, and drops for children less than 2 months of age.
- Overdose: dizziness, lowering blood pressure, nausea and vomiting, increased drowsiness and fatigue. There is no specific antidote, treatment is symptomatic. Shown gastric lavage, taking enterosorbent and laxatives.
Release form: syrup of 100 and 200 ml in glass bottles, drops for oral administration of 20 ml in dark glass bottles.
The choice of the drug is the responsibility of the attending physician. The doctor focuses on the severity of painful symptoms and the characteristics of the patient's body.