Fansidar is a specific anti-malarial drug. Encoding according to ATC: P01BD51.
Indications of the fanshidar
Fundsidar is used for malaria, especially for a disease caused by P. Falciparum, which is resistant to other antimalarial drugs.
Fansidar is not used as a drug for long-term prophylaxis. The latter is possible only in the areas that are identified as endemic for malaria, sensitive to the Fundidar, and also in the presence of contraindications or the absence of other antimalarial drugs.
It is possible to prescribe the drug for parasitic pathologies - for example, to treat toxoplasmosis or for preventive purposes from pneumocystis lesions.
Fansidar is produced in the form of flat-cylindrical tablets of light yellow or grayish hue, which do not have a distinct specific odor. One side of the tablet contains the inscription ROCHE with a hexagonal figure. On the opposite side there is a cross-shaped incision for dosing.
The active ingredients of Fundir are sulfadoxine and pyrimethamine.
The cardboard box contains from 1 to 4 non-jammed packages of 3 tablets each.
The drug Fundsidar has an effect on asexual intra-erythrocyte malarial plasmodia. A successful combination of the active ingredients of this drug can suppress the activity of enzymes that take part in the production of folinic acid within the parasites.
Sensitive strains resistant to chloroquine are sensitive to the action of Candida. But in the southeast of Asia and the South American continent, you can meet other strains that have developed resistance to the drug. For this reason, in the listed regions, as well as in the east and in the center of Africa, Fan-sidar is used very carefully.
Among other things, the drug is used for infectious lesions by toxoplasm and pneumocyste.
After a single administration of Fansidar, the level of active ingredients in the plasma rises for 4 hours.
The binding to plasma proteins is approximately 90%. The components of the drug penetrate the placenta and are secreted by lactation.
The half-life is long enough and ranges from 100 to 200 hours. Excretion is carried out mainly by the kidneys.
In persons suffering from kidney failure, removing the drug from the body can significantly slow down.
Use of the fanshidar during pregnancy
Sufficient data allowing to judge the safety of Fundsidar during pregnancy, no. For this reason, the drug is prescribed only in the presence of unconditional testimony, evaluating the positive and possibly negative effect of Fanhidar.
Before preventive medication, women of reproductive age are prescribed contraceptive medications, which should also be taken within 90 days after the last dose of Fanishar.
When taking lactation, medication is not advisable: it is recommended that the child switch to artificial food.
Fundsidar has some limitations to use in the form of contraindications:
- high sensitivity to the ingredients of the drug;
- diagnosed megaloblastic anemia, as a consequence of a lack of folic acid;
- pregnancy and breastfeeding;
- newborns and infants up to 2 months of age.
Prophylactic reception is not recommended for persons with severe kidney and liver lesions, with blood dyscrasia.
Side effects of the fanshidar
Fancidar in standard dosages, as a rule, is transferred normally. However, sometimes there are side effects, which should immediately be reported to the doctor:
- excessive sensitivity in the form of rashes, itching, redness of the skin, swelling;
- anemia, eosinophilia;
- heaviness in the abdomen, dyspepsia, pancreatitis;
- apathy, depression, irritability, sleep disorders, convulsions;
- nephrite, crystalluria;
- fatigue, myasthenia gravis, headache, fever, cough, difficulty breathing;
- pericarditis, myocarditis
Dosing and administration
Fansidar taken after eating, squeezed with water and without chewing.
- In uncomplicated malaria, the drug is taken once:
- children weighing up to 10 kg - ½ tablets;
- children weighing up to 20 kg - 1 tablet;
- children weighing up to 30 kg - 1 ½ tablets;
- children weighing up to 45 kg - 2 tablets;
- adults weighing up to 45 kg - 2 tablets;
- adults weighing more than 45 kg - 3 tablets.
- In the complicated course of malaria, quinine is prescribed for 2-10 days, after which a one-time reception of Fancidar is connected. Such treatment prevents re-development of the disease.
- To prevent malaria, the following treatment regimens are used:
- children weighing up to 10 kg - ½ tab. Once every two weeks;
- children weighing up to 30 kg - 1 tab. Once every two weeks;
- children weighing up to 45 kg - 1 ½ tab. Once every two weeks;
- adults weighing up to 45 kg - 1 ½ tab. Once every two weeks;
- adults weighing more than 45 kg - 1 tab. Once a week.
For preventive purposes, the first tablet should be taken 7 days before the trip to the endemic zone. After this, the reception of Fanshidar should be continued throughout the entire period of stay plus 1-1½ months after leaving the zone.
Prophylactic reception can not last longer than 24 consecutive months.
- With the independent reception of Fanzidar as a first aid, the medicine can be taken once using the first scheme suggested above.
- When treating toxoplasmosis, adult patients are prescribed 2 tablets once every 7 days for six weeks.
Signs of an overdose of Fancidar are:
- lack of appetite;
- pain in the head;
- attacks of nausea and vomiting;
- excited state;
- changes in the composition of the blood (anemia, leukopenia);
- inflammation of the oral mucosa and tongue;
- the presence of crystals in the urine.
When sharp symptoms appear, it is recommended to immediately rinse the stomach or provoke vomiting, to ensure the use of a sufficient amount of liquid. When developing convulsive syndrome, diazepam or barbiturates should be used.
For a month after detection of signs of overdose, a medical check of the liver and urinary output is necessary.