Treatment of cracks in the nails is carried out in a complex, with mandatory caring procedures and nutrition correction. Sometimes the usual cutting of the damaged area with scissors helps: over time, a new healthy area grows. To prevent the crack from repeating, the plate is glued with an antimicrobial patch until it is completely grown back. If the damage is significant and captures the entire nail surface, then the intervention of a surgeon may be required.
When the root cause of the problem is a disease of the internal organs, or a systemic disease, it is imperative to visit a doctor and conduct a thorough diagnosis. If the underlying pathology is not eliminated, then it will be almost impossible to get rid of cracks forever.
If the lesion was provoked by contact with aggressive chemical solutions, then it is necessary to take measures to protect the hands - for example, wear rubber gloves regularly.
The problem associated with a fungal infection is solved by the doctor on an individual basis. For example, neglected mycoses are treated for a long time - for several months or even up to a year. It is possible to use systemic antifungal drugs: Fluconazole, Itraconazole, Terbinafine, Ketoconazole. Additionally, it is recommended to connect external treatment, which includes baths with a solution of potassium permanganate, salt and sodium bicarbonate.
In some cases, the doctor prescribes a specific treatment using 1-2% tinol or 5% chrysarobin with chloroform. After the procedure, an antifungal agent is applied. Such treatment is continued for at least 2 weeks, after which the affected area is cut down and the antifungal drug is continued to be applied under the adhesive plaster for another month. Such treatment is more often prescribed to patients whose fissure problem is associated with eczema or dermatitis. The total duration of therapy is until the regrowth of a completely healthy nail plate.
It is possible to use other topical preparations, such as Exoderil, Bifonazole, Fukortsin, etc.
Inside, it is recommended to take special multivitamin-mineral complex products.
Medications that a doctor may prescribe
An antifungal agent prescribed by a doctor, choosing individual dosages depending on the type and severity of the infection. Possible adverse reactions: headache, sleep disturbances, general weakness, lethargy.
It is used for onychomycosis, usually in the amount of 250 mg once a day. Treatment can be long, for several weeks and even months. The drug is usually well accepted by the body, and side effects are rare or mild.
Antifungal agent for external use. As a rule, Exoderil is used for application to the affected areas twice a day, for several months (up to six months). Adverse reactions are rare and are expressed in local manifestations (redness, itching, local skin irritation).
Antiseptic and disinfectant with broad antimicrobial and antifungal activity. Used to treat affected areas up to 3 times a day. Duration of application - until the complete disappearance of the symptoms of the crack. Fukortsin is not prescribed for children under 12 years of age.
Calcium D 3 Nycomed
Chewable calcium tablets help strengthen nails and improve their structure. Take 1 tablet twice a day. During treatment, hypersensitivity reactions, digestive disorders are possible.
A combination of calcium citrate and carbonate. It is prescribed for children from the age of five and adults. The average daily dose is 2 tablets. The duration of admission is determined individually. Side effects are extremely rare and are expressed in the form of allergic reactions or nausea.
How to fix a crack on a nail?
If the crack problem appeared suddenly - for example, after mechanical damage to the plate - then it is better to visit a manicurist who can "fix" the defect professionally. It is better to do this procedure as early as possible, otherwise the situation will worsen.
When it is not possible to visit a nail salon, it is recommended to take the following actions:
- independently polish the affected nail surface with a buff with a fine-grained nail file (non-metallic);
- apply an adhesive base to the polished area (for convenience, you can use a manicure brush);
- when the glue dries, put a miniature piece of silk on the treated area, then fix it twice on top with glue;
- after the glue dries, the place must again be treated with a file or a buff and covered with a fixing varnish.
In extreme cases, you can do without glue and silk fabric, using a piece of ordinary napkin and clear varnish. True, this procedure will not have such a lasting effect, but it will help to “hold out” until the moment of professional restoration in the salon.
Vitamins for cracked nails
To prevent or accelerate the healing of a crack in the nail, it is necessary to ensure the intake of essential vitamin substances into the body. It is no secret that the lack of vitamins and minerals leads to dryness, brittleness, deformation and pallor of the skin appendages. How to make up for this shortcoming?
The best solution would be to revise the diet, thanks to which we can get the main and easily digestible substances. Pharmaceutical preparations are also suitable, but their absorption is somewhat worse (in addition, pharmacy products can cause allergies in the patient). In any case, it is better to consult a doctor about this.
With excessive dryness and brittleness against the background of thickening of the edges of the nail plate, a deficiency of iodine, calcium or magnesium, or vitamins A and E is usually suspected. The mentioned vitamins are fat-soluble: this suggests that they can only be absorbed in combination with fats. That is why the lack of tocopherol and retinol is often observed in women who follow strict diets with reduced fat intake.
Calcium is an important component found in cheeses, dairy products, cabbage, greens and nuts. To improve the absorption of calcium, it is better to take it in combination with vitamin D: the latter is produced by the body under the influence of sunlight.
Iodine is a trace element that is very necessary for the body, which is present in sufficient quantities in seafood, greens, carrots, pineapples. Thanks to iodine, the normal function of the thyroid gland is established, and the hair and nail plates become stronger.
Magnesium is a key component found in beans, nuts, cheeses, cereals, bananas and berries. In addition to magnesium, food plants are rich in silicon: in the absence of this element, nails become brittle, microcracks may appear.
You can improve the condition and accelerate the healing of cracked nails by including gelatin dishes in your diet. The menu can be represented by meat or fish aspic, jellies, mousses, etc. Thanks to gelatin, it is often possible to improve not only the condition of the nails, but also the joints.
To perform physiotherapy procedures, special equipment is used, which, as a rule, is installed in physical rooms. Treatment can be carried out both on an outpatient and inpatient basis.
The procedures involve exposure to different types of energy - quantum, magnetic, electrical and ultrasonic. To get rid of cracks in the nail, the doctor may prescribe:
- ultrahigh frequency therapy;
- laser treatment;
- shock wave therapy;
- radiotherapy, etc.
It should be borne in mind that physiotherapy will not be able to eradicate the cause of the appearance of cracks in the nails. Therefore, in the course of treatment, additional methods are used to eliminate the initial factor. If this is not done, then the problem may recur soon.
A lot of alternative recipes exist to strengthen nails and prevent pathological changes in them. The simplest ways to get rid of cracks are:
- An affordable and simple remedy for cracked nails is vegetable oil infused with herbs. It is not difficult to cook it: they take fresh or dried herbs (sage, tarragon, cilantro, or even carrot tops are suitable), chop and pour unrefined vegetable oil. The amount of oil is determined visually: it should completely cover the green layer, but no more. The agent is insisted in a closet for 2 days, after which treatment begins. Take 1 tbsp. L. Oil half an hour before breakfast, daily, and also rubbed into the nail plates twice a day (morning and night).
- With a lack of calcium, egg shells are collected, washed well and dried, calcined in a hot dry frying pan, ground in a coffee grinder. The resulting powder is stored in a tightly sealed container, preferably in a refrigerator. Taken orally, 1 tsp. Daily, with food, for 2-3 weeks. Such calcium from the shell is absorbed much better than from most pharmaceutical preparations.
- Prepare an ointment for cracks. Mix 20 ml of marigold oil, half of boiled chicken yolk and 3 g of beeswax, preheated in a water bath. The agent is stirred, without removing from heat, and brought to the consistency of sour cream. The tool is used for rubbing into the nails at night.
- Every day, several times a day, they drink a freshly brewed infusion of horsetail. This plant is known for its diuretic properties, but few people know that it still copes well with various diseases of the nails and hair. At least 2 glasses of infusion should be drunk per day.
- A medicinal collection is prepared from three parts of elderberry color, two parts of couch grass root, and one part of nettle leaves, alder fruits and shepherd's purse. Take one teaspoon of the resulting mixture, pour 250 ml of boiling water in a thermos, insist overnight, filter the next morning. They drink a ten-day course, three times a day, 100 ml. Every day you need to prepare a fresh infusion.
- An external remedy is prepared from 15 ml of aloe juice, 1 tbsp. L. Homemade cream, 20 drops of sea buckthorn and burdock oils, the same amount of marigold oil. All ingredients are mixed, rubbed into the nail plates 2-3 times a day, daily.
In many cases, when cracked nails appear, homeopathy helps to cope with the problem. We are talking about specific, effective and safe drugs that are allowed to be taken by both adults and children. The main thing is to find a good homeopathic doctor who will select the optimal remedy. The choice can be made in favor of such homeopathic remedies:
- Thuja oksidentalis - is prescribed to treat brittle, crumbling nails, when they peel, deform, etc. It also helps with nail psoriasis.
- Sepia - used for cracks located on the side of the free edge, as well as for frequent burrs, yellowness, deformation of the plates.
- Acidum fluoricum - can be used if the nails break, become covered with cracks, grooves, longitudinal stripes.
- Alumina - helps with dry skin and cracked swollen nail plates.
- Antimonium krudum - will help if the nails are covered with cracks, crevices, growths, as well as with subungual hyperkeratosis.
- Arsenicum album - is prescribed for thinning and fragility of the plates.
- Graphite - helps against deformation, thickening and cracks.
- Psorinum - used for fragility and brittleness.
If cracked nails are caused by a fungal infection, then remedies such as Silicea terra, Argilla, Veronica officinalis are beneficial. Painful cracks are eliminated with the help of Berberis vulgaris.
Dosages of drugs are individual and are determined by a specialist in homeopathic direction.
In some situations, when drug treatment does not have the desired effect, one has to resort to cardinal methods - for example, to remove the nail plate. The procedure is carried out in several ways:
- The laser method involves the use of a laser beam with a diameter less than 1 mm. The beam simultaneously removes both the affected nail and the fungal pathogen, has a gentle effect, prevents the recurrence of mycosis.
- Surgical intervention is most often used if the disease is advanced: the surgeon separates the plate from the base with a scalpel and removes it, after which he rinses the wound with an antibacterial agent. The patient can go home almost immediately after the procedure.
- Chemical removal involves the use of a special tape and a chemical ointment reagent. The tape with ointment is kept on the affected nail for about four days, after which it is removed along with the softened plate.
- The radio wave method is a kind of "evaporation" of the affected nail areas. The procedure is performed under local anesthesia, so patients endure the session without much discomfort and can start their normal daily activities on the second day after the intervention.