All iLive content is medically reviewed or fact checked to ensure as much factual accuracy as possible.
We have strict sourcing guidelines and only link to reputable media sites, academic research institutions and, whenever possible, medically peer reviewed studies. Note that the numbers in parentheses (, , etc.) are clickable links to these studies.
If you feel that any of our content is inaccurate, out-of-date, or otherwise questionable, please select it and press Ctrl + Enter.
Medical expert of the article
Corns on the legs and hands - this is an unpleasant cosmetic defect, which causes a lot of inconvenience. Let's consider effective means for their elimination, features of application. Corns are a condensation of the upper layer of the skin, which consists of dead cells. Most often they appear on the hands and feet. The cause and predisposition can be: uncomfortable shoes, exercise, flat feet, diabetes, psoriasis, fungal diseases, excess weight.
Indications of the creams from corns
Tread on the hands or feet require treatment, since they cause not only discomfort and pain, but also cause cosmetic discomforts. Indications for the use of cream against calluses are based on these factors. Use it better in consultation with the doctor. This will avoid unwanted adverse reactions and achieve the desired therapeutic effect.
- Means of local application have a number of advantages: quick efficiency and high efficiency, reasonable price.
- Among the shortcomings can be noted the following: the risk of allergic reactions, are not effective in deep calluses, compliance with the rules of use.
When choosing a medicine, it is necessary to pay attention to the fact that it includes natural, that is, herbal ingredients. It can be various essential oils, vitamins, urea, salicylic and glycolic acid. Before use, it is recommended to prepare: to steam out the legs or hands in a bath with sea salt and essential oils. This will enhance the effect of the drug, and it will act more effectively.
There are many drugs for the treatment of corns. They differ in their efficiency and composition. Knowing the names of creams from corns and the mechanism of their action, you can pick the best tool.
- Allpresan «Corn softener for very rough skin of feet»
Contains urea, panthenol and allantoin. Helps with very dry, crack-prone skin, effectively softens the seals, has a keratoplastic effect. Can be used to treat diabetic feet.
The active substances quickly soften the cornified layer, but do not affect the living. The agent is applied by the application method at a distance of 5-10 cm, maintaining 5 minutes.
- Bielita «Foot Care»
Cream against dry corns, contains such components: urea, salicylic and glycolic acids, tea tree oil, menthol, camphor and allantoin. Cleans dry, hard and cracked skin, has an antiseptic, soothing and deodorizing effect.
The medicine is gently applied to dry skin and left until completely absorbed. Apply until the full extinction of the corns.
- Floslek «Dr Stopa»
A soothing remedy for the rough skin of the feet. Softens, prevents the formation of calluses and cracks, fungal changes, diaper rash. Normalizes sweating, refreshes and moisturizes. It consists of antifungal and antibacterial components, cinnamon oil and chamomile extract.
The medicine needs to be applied by massage movements on 1-2 drops on problem places.
- Green Pharmacy
- "Healing Cracks" - is used to remove dry corns. Nourishes and softens, renders a regenerating effect. Contains extract of sea-buckthorn, vitamins A, E and allantoin. To achieve a stable therapeutic effect, after applying the medication you need to put on socks.
- "Against calluses and corns" - softens and removes horny layers of skin. Suitable for excessively dry, prone to the appearance of corns epidermis. It consists of: Siberian cedar oil, rosemary and fir oil, aloe. It moisturizes, tones, soothes, antiseptic.
- NUBAR «Callus-Rid T318»
A professional but expensive tool. It consists of fruit acids (lactic, malic, citric, glycolic), softening and removing coarse areas, as well as seaweed extract, aloe vera and cellulose. Before applying the ointment, the problem areas must be soaked or steamed.
The medicine is applied in a thick layer, and the top is wrapped with polyethylene material for 3-5 minutes. After this, remove the remnants of the product and moisten the skin.
- Natura siberica
Cream "Against calluses" for skin care feet. It is made on the basis of Siberian fir oil, extract of acidic Yakut and white beeswax. It softens roughened epidermis, heals cracks, intensively nourishes and accelerates regeneration processes.
The drug is applied by massage movements on dry, clean feet. The frequency of application depends on the degree of skin growth.
- Home doctor
Foot cream "For the prevention of calluses and corns" with an extract of the bark of a white willow and beeswax.
Prevents the bumps and the discomfort caused by them. Its components have an anti-inflammatory and moisturizing effect. With regular application, the skin becomes smooth and pleasant to the touch.
- Delia Cosmetics «Good Foot»
Cosmetic preparation for coarsened and cracked feet. It is composed of 10% urea, which leads to intensive moistening.
Exfoliates the coarsened skin, refreshes, reduces irritation, normalizes sweating. You can use it several times a day, rubbing with massage movements.
Efficiently softens and heals natoptyshi. It consists of such substances: olive oil, papaya extract and mint, algae, urea, essential oils of tea tree and marjoram, citric acid and other components. Minimizes painful sensations, restores elasticity and structure of coarsened tissues.
It is used until the corns disappear completely. Not recommended for intolerance to components. Long-term use may cause allergic reactions that occur after withdrawal of treatment.
A combined preparation with antiseptic, local irritating and keratolytic action. Due to the high accumulation in the stratum corneum, it effectively softens the dry skin. The main indication for use is the corns and calluses of any severity. Before application, the skin should be steamed and covered with healthy tissue using a layer of petroleum jelly or adhesive plaster. The ointment is applied to the lesion site and covered with a patch. After 2-3 hours, the patch with the medicine is removed. Contraindicated to use in violation of the integrity of the skin and hypersensitivity to the active substances. May provoke allergic reactions at the site of application.
- Cream of corns "5 days"
It is used for the removal of corns and dry calluses, which arise due to prolonged friction or pressure. Softens the horny layer of the skin, so it can be painlessly removed. It includes salicylic acid, lanolin and petroleum jelly. The ointment is applied to the wound and covered with plaster for 12 hours. If necessary, repeat the procedure. Softened skin is easily removed with pumice. May cause light tingling. But if there is a burning sensation or pain, then the cream needs to be washed off. As a rule, three procedures are sufficient to completely remove calluses.
Cream the healer
Care of the feet is very important, because it allows you to maintain healthy skin and appearance of the lower limbs, so you should not go to the background. Cream The healer moisturizes and heals cracks, helps in the treatment of corns and dry calluses. Contains natural ingredients: olive oil, urea, natural moisturizer glycerin, vitamin E for cell regeneration, celandine with antimicrobial action, oak bark and tea tree oil. Such a composition indicates the safety and efficacy of the drug.
- Indications for use: elimination of calluses and corns, healing of cracks. Softens dry skin, relieves heaviness and fatigue, normalizes sweating. It restores the normal functioning of cells, destroys microbes and inflammation, prevents the development of infection.
- After applying to the site of the lesion, the active components penetrate into the coarsened cells, feeding them with moisture. Due to this, the skin becomes soft and the keratinized areas can be removed. The cream should be applied to clean skin, evenly spreading over its entire surface with the help of massaging movements. The medicine is used 2-3 times a day until the problem disappears completely.
- The cream of the healer is characterized by instability in the interaction with water. This is explained by the release of ammonia and an unpleasant odor. The drug has an alkaline pH, which adversely affects the fatty skin type. Therefore, before using the product, it is better to consult a dermatologist.
Harsh, rough skin is not only a cosmetic defect, but a problem that causes pain and requires treatment. Cream compeed - an effective drug to eliminate this pathology. Compide has a number of advantages over similar means:
- Effectively moisturizes the skin, the result is visible after first use.
- Due to lactic acid and urea, which enter into its composition, corns and cracks pass for 4 weeks. And with the observance of preventive measures no longer appear.
- Minimizes painful sensations, prevents infection from entering the wound.
- Improves the structure of nails and prevents fungal infections on the legs.
The composition of the drug includes such substances: lactic acid, urea, glycerin, stearic and palmitic acid, sorbitol, glyceryl stearate and others. Compeed is easy to use. To achieve a stable therapeutic effect, it should be applied to areas with dry cracked skin and calluses 2 times a day. The product has a non-greasy structure, therefore before its use it is recommended to steam the skin and treat it with pumice stone. Prolonged use can provoke addiction, which will reduce the effectiveness of the drug.
Keratolytic cream against corns
A new, unique remedy for exfoliating dead skin cells is a keratolytic cream from corns. The drug nourishes the epidermis and restores the water balance. Its composition, as a rule, includes urea and salicylic acid. The preparation can contain lanolin, various herbal extracts, essential oils, acids, petrolatum and other components. In the complex, they have a softening effect.
- Fruit acids and urea - optimize the moisture of the skin, increase elasticity, have antiseptic effect.
- Natural essential oils - soften and nourish the skin, make it smooth and silky.
- Salicylic acid and plant extracts - have a fungicidal and antibacterial effect, prevent fungal diseases.
Popular keratolytic ointments from calluses:
- "Antimozolin" - contains lactic acid and carbamide. Moisturizes and softens natoptyshi. Helps to get rid not only of coarse skin, but also from an unpleasant odor thanks to natural ingredients.
- "TianDe" is a Chinese cosmetic product based on snake fat. It has antibacterial and wound healing properties. Suitable for dry and wet calluses.
- "Neutrogena" is an expensive but effective remedy made in Norway with urea as an active ingredient. Reduces the thickness of keratinized skin, preventing the appearance of corns.
- "Bensalitin" - contains benzoic and salicylic acid. The product is applied to the skin dermal seals with an interval of 1-2 hours, sealing the healthy skin with adhesive tape. Helps in a short time to repair the defect. When used on inflamed or damaged skin, it can cause irritation.
- "Namozol-911" - a preparation with plant components (extracts of horsetail, tea tree, fly agaric), disinfects and promotes exfoliation of corns. Suitable for the treatment of dry and neglected calluses, heals cracks.
Keratolytic topical agents should be applied only to the site of the callus, without affecting healthy tissues or mucous membranes. Carry out treatment better in gloves, but if the cream has fallen into your hands, then carefully wash them with soap. The product is gently distributed over the wet, steamed skin and allowed to stand for 20-30 minutes. After the remnants of the ointment are removed, the corn can be peeled off with a stiff brush or pumice and rinsed thoroughly.
Cream for dry corns
Deformed and compacted due to mechanical damage to the skin, requires treatment. The problem is not a threat to life, therefore very often it is not given due attention. But without therapy, the natoptysh begins to bleed, delivering painful sensations. As a result of this, a chronic, that is, dry callus appears, a treatment that is complex and lasting.
Most often the defect arises from wearing tight shoes, rubbing the skin when working with tools or regular physical exertion. In some cases, the problem is a symptom of other diseases. It can be a hypovitaminosis, that is a lack of vitamin A, a diabetes. Very often, for dry callus, fungal diseases, abscesses, warts, tumors and even psoriasis are taken. Therefore, before treatment, it is best to consult a specialist for the diagnosis of skin densification.
Treatment depends on the type of dry callus:
- Soft - has a hard core, but around it a healthy skin.
- Rigid - appears on smooth skin and epidermis without hair. It is most often localized between the fingers.
Special preparations are used to eliminate it. Most often, these are keratolytic creams that promote rapid and painless exfoliation of the stratum corneum. Efficient properties are 10% salicylic ointment, which includes benzoic acid, as well as special trays and lotions. If the disorder is accompanied by a fungal infection, then the assistance of a dermatologist is mandatory. Since besides the cream for treatment cryotherapy or laser therapy is used.
The cream from dry corns deeply moisturizes the skin, which allows you to get rid of the defect. The main rule is daily procedures, until the disappearance of the corns. The principle of removal is simple: coarse epidermis should be softened with a warm bath, and then apply the medicine, after closing the healthy tissue.
Topical topical preparations for the treatment of dry calluses:
- "Nemozol" - contains keratolic components (salicylic and glycolic acid), softens and exfoliates the cornified epidermis. It has antifungal and antiseptic properties, suppresses bacterial infections, and promotes healing. The remedy is adjusted to the patch for 1-2 days, after which it can be removed with a pumice stone or a rough brush. To completely eliminate the problem, 3 procedures are sufficient.
- "Foot Relax" - removes deep and hardened calluses, eliminates painful sensations. Contains salicylic acid and antiseptic components. To achieve a lasting result, the agent is applied to the lesion site until the problem disappears completely.
- "Stop-Corn" - contains lactic acid, which effectively removes aged and dry corns with a stem. Most often used for medical purposes.
- "Bensalitin" is a preparation with antiseptic, keratolytic and locally irritating properties. The active substance is salicylic and benzoic acids. Before its use, healthy tissues are covered with a patch, and the drug is applied to the second layer of the patch. The procedure should last 1-2 hours, after which the remedy is removed and a moisturizer is applied.
- "Mosol" - a topical drug with active ingredients: salicylic and benzoic acid. Has antimicrobial properties, inhibits the secretion of sweat and sebaceous glands. Low concentrations of the drug have keratoplastic effect, and high - keratolytic. A dermatotropic agent softens dry skin, helps in the treatment of corns with a stem. It is not used for hypersensitivity to active components and for damage to the integrity of the skin at the application site. The cream is applied 1-2 times a day until the keratinized epidermis is completely removed.
About how effective a drug can tell its pharmacodynamics. If we talk about topical preparations for the removal of corns, attention is paid to the effectiveness of softening the stratum corneum of the epidermis, the permeability of the active substances, the level of absorption and the narrowing of the vessels. Since keratolytic creams are very popular, we will examine their pharmacodynamics in more detail.
- Salicylic acid has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties, softens rough skin and accelerates healing. It has antibacterial action, preventing fungal lesions.
- Various fruit acids and urea - optimize the moisture of the epidermis and its elasticity. Eliminate the unpleasant odor by providing a deodorizing effect.
- Natural oils (soy, olive, palm) and cosmetic silicones - nourish and soften the skin, restore its smoothness, relieving dryness.
Most often in the composition of drugs are precisely these components. To enhance their action, before applying the product, it is recommended to make a steam bath, a massage bath.
The processes of absorption, distribution and metabolism are pharmacokinetics. It indicates the biochemical processes that occur with the drug after application to local lesions. Keratolytic agents contain salicylic acid, which is quickly absorbed into the deep layers of the skin, moisturizing them. The substance has a local irritating, anti-inflammatory and drying effect. Its increased concentration coagulates microbial proteins, reduces pain and improves trophism.
Natural acids act as a soft peeling, softening and exfoliating dead skin and disinfecting the wound. Essential oils soften and take care of the epidermis. Creams do not penetrate into the systemic bloodstream, since they have a low absorption, which can reach only deep layers of the skin, softening the dry corns with the stem.
Use of the creams from corns during pregnancy
Keratinized skin on the legs or hands, this is a problem known to everyone. Especially acute with her face during pregnancy. This is due to increased stresses on the female body due to a growing child. The future mother suffers from frequent puffiness of the legs, which leads to nattoids and watery, wet calluses. Without proper attention and treatment, this problem can lead to serious consequences: fungal diseases and various infections.
The use of cream against calluses during pregnancy is allowed at the first sign of an unpleasant condition. Medicines and cosmetics have low absorption and do not penetrate into the systemic bloodstream, so they are safe for the mother and fetus. In order for the drug to be really effective, use it better after consulting a dermatologist.
Cream of calluses and like any other medication has contraindications to the use. The drug is not used when:
- Hypersensitivity to active substances
- Infant age of the patient
- Allergic response of the body (itching, burning, redness)
- Violation of the integrity of the skin
In the presence of the above contraindications, preparations of another form of release or other methods of treatment (cryodestruction, laser therapy) are used to eliminate the keratinized epidermis, but only in consultation with the doctor.
Side effects of the creams from corns
Many cosmetics used to moisturize dry, keratinized skin, can trigger side effects. Creams from calluses provoke such reactions:
- Burning and tingling
- Skin rashes
- Itchy skin
Side effects are local in nature, that is, they manifest themselves directly at the site of application. To eliminate them, it is recommended to reduce the frequency of use of the drug or stop the treatment altogether. The affected skin should be rinsed with soapy water and consult a dermatologist for the selection of a safe preparation.
Dosing and administration
In order for the treatment to be effective, it is very important to follow the rules for the use of the drug. The way the cream is used against calluses depends on the type and neglect of the defect. Let's consider this aspect in more detail:
- Before applying the cream, it is recommended to soften the skin with a warm bath. It can be added essential oils, ammonia or sea salt.
- On a steamed, clean skin with massage movements, a drug is applied. In order for the epidermis to soften better and calluses go off faster, after the procedure, you can put on socks.
- If keratolytic creams are used for treatment, then they are applied only to damaged surfaces, previously covering healthy tissues. For this purpose, an ordinary plaster with a hole for the callus is suitable. On the wound, the medicine is applied and covered with a second layer of the patch.
To achieve a stable therapeutic effect, the procedure should be carried out daily. This will remove the puffs with a pumice stone or a hard brush. Regular long-term therapy is a prerequisite for eliminating dry corns with a stem.
Long-term use of the cream against calluses or excess of frequency of its application can provoke a number of unpleasant symptoms. Overdose is similar to adverse reactions. The patient complains of local irritation: itching, burning, redness. To eliminate adverse reactions, you need to stop using the remedy and, of course, consult a dermatologist.
Interactions with other drugs
Treatment of calluses must be complex, this implies interactions with other drugs. As a rule, the cream is combined with special trays and compresses to soften the skin. To do this, use natural plant extracts, essential oils and other components that moisturize the skin.
It is contraindicated the simultaneous use of several drugs on one wound site. Since this can cause side reactions: burning, itching, rash, redness. Keratolytic agents are not recommended for use with drugs-derivatives of sulfonylureas, hypoglycemic oral medications. This is because salicylic acid increases the permeability of the epidermis, enhancing the absorption of other topical medications.
In order for the treatment to be effective and there are no adverse reactions, it is very important not only to correctly apply the drug, but also to observe the storage conditions. Creams for removal of corns and horny layers of skin should be kept in a place protected from sunlight and inaccessible to children.
Recommended storage temperature is 5 ° C to 25 ° C. The medication should be in the original tightly closed container. Failure to comply with these rules leads to its deterioration and loss of pharmaceutical properties, which negatively affects the treatment process.
Cream for calluses is the most accessible, simple, but at the same time effective means for eliminating an unpleasant defect. When choosing a drug, you need to pay attention not only to its composition, but also to the expiration date. The suitability is affected by storage conditions. Overdue drugs or with expiring shelf life should be avoided.
It is important to know!
To simplify the perception of information, this instruction for use of the drug "Corneal Creams " translated and presented in a special form on the basis of the official instructions for medical use of the drug. Before use read the annotation that came directly to medicines.
Description provided for informational purposes and is not a guide to self-healing. The need for this drug, the purpose of the treatment regimen, methods and dose of the drug is determined solely by the attending physician. Self-medication is dangerous for your health.